• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • qba
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2008

New hardware platform for Cortex

Hi,
    I am about to get a new computer for Cortex installation, I am considering this platform: http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/u...d-d2500cc.html
    Anyone have any experience with this? Any comments would be welcome.
    Thanks
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

Cortex is very lightweight and so will work on pretty much anything that is available today and can itself run Windows XP or Windows 7. Do you intend for this to be dedicated machine or run anything extra?

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

true enough, 'though we're nervous of how things will go once we start bringing-in video aspects (AUIs & associated displays, IP-camera links, etc, etc) ...

unexplored territory for us, but such things loom on the horizon ...
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Karam
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2005

'Lightweight' I think only applies to Cortex's required processing power not the application's capabilities . As Chris points out it depends on whether you intend to include processor intensive features such as camera functions and if so how many. An Intel Atom board would easily run Cortex but if you start to add a number of cameras and include camera pre-trigger buffering, higher resolutions and utilise video processing features such as visual motion detection then this starts to eat up processing and memory resources.

Comment

• qba
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jun 2008

It will be dedicated Cortex machine and I am not planning to use camera functions. I was happy to see that nowadays one can get a board with serial port, which will be used for connection to Idranet.
          On my current machine (PIV 2.8GHz) I have problem with energy usage reports - when I try to display report for one month back for all lights it usually ends with defibrilator restarting machine or watchdog resetting network. I suppose with Atom processor it will not go any better
          Last edited by qba; 23 January 2013, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• Karam
            Automated Home Legend
            • Mar 2005

For new users please note that we now primarily provide a USB rather than RS232 network interface.

QBA: There was a reported issue with HVAC energy analysis caused by HVACs which had no connected external temperature sensors or indeed internal ones. This has been resolved in a recent Cortex update. However we don't know of an issue with lighting analysis and a check just now with the present version shows that during the data crunching period (for a long data set) defibrillator is receiving watchdog pulses from Cortex ok. Perhaps you could look at this on your setup - just open up the defibrillator window whilst analysing the data and check to see that there is activity every few seconds. You may also wish to contact us and send your database so that we can try and analyse further. It should not be something that is machine dependent (other than speed of generating the resulrts).

Comment

• Viv
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
              true enough, 'though we're nervous of how things will go once we start bringing-in video aspects (AUIs & associated displays, IP-camera links, etc, etc) ...

unexplored territory for us, but such things loom on the horizon ...
              We have several installation which use two PC's. One for Cortex running the network hardware and a second running the cameras. The two are linked if required using the bridge facility. For example motion detect by a camera to trigger a light or motion detect by PIR to trigger taking a snapshot is done via the bridge.

The CPU load for 4 high frame rate video streams can be quite demanding.

Viv.

Viv.

Comment

• qba
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Jun 2008

Karam,
                you are right, now defibrillator is receiving watchdog pulses correctly.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Dec 2007

so, what changed in the meantime ?

Comment

• qba
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Jun 2008

Applied Cortex update

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Dec 2007

ah, we must do more of that, too ...

Comment

Working...
                      X