• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lindsey
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2005

CAN ANYONE ONE HELP RE DIMMER SWITCHES

Hi - Just wanted some advice re the following. I have just purchased and installed dimmer switches in my house, but someone has told me that you should not use them with certain light fittings!! Is this true? If, so, what are the consequences. Thanks, responses will be appreciated. Lindsey
  • v8dave
    • Mar 2024

Re: CAN ANYONE ONE HELP RE DIMMER SWITCHES

Check the installation instructions for the dimmer but nearly all can only be used with incandescant lamps. Basically your standard old style bulb and not the energy saving types. I believe some can be used with halogen lighting but you need to check the instructions for these to say if they can or not.

Sorry I can not be more helpful but generally reading the instructions does help in these situations.

Regards
    Dave...
    Originally posted by Lindsey
    Hi - Just wanted some advice re the following. I have just purchased and installed dimmer switches in my house, but someone has told me that you should not use them with certain light fittings!! Is this true? If, so, what are the consequences. Thanks, responses will be appreciated. Lindsey

Comment

• bmcomp
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2004

Hi Lindsey,

I'm not 100% but i think that is is mainly the bulb or transformer that is the bit to look out for not hte actual fitting. Standard ceiling rose are fine once you use the right bulb. The likes of the energy saving bulbs can't be dimmed and floresent light's can't. Up until now LED lights couldn't be dimmed but i found a few that can.

If you using low voltage lights then you need to have a dimmable transformer which i think is standard now. No harm to check.

As far what goes wrong. Not sure? never tryed it. I don't think anything to bad will happen. The bulb just mightn't come on or flicker like crazy or it might just blow. The trip switch on the board might go?

What type of fittings/lights are you trying to dim?

Regards

Brian

Comment

• Lindsey
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Apr 2005

Thanks for your feedback. Basically, i have just moved into a house and the light fitrtings were purchased by the previous owner - hence not having any instructions. I have bought dimmers for each room, fittings in room include, halogens, ceiling fan with light , extractor fan with light.
        They are all working fine at the moment just a little worried about the consequences having read that dimmer switches are not suitable for all fittings. Comments appreciated. Thanks, Lindsey

Comment

Working...
        X