• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

Energenie LAN Power Socket

I came across this product by accident. It is a six way power socket with surge protection, nothing unusual so far, however four of the sockets can be controlled via a network connection. The unit has a built in simple web server that allows the sockets to be scheduled for on and off as well as manual toggle. In addition software can be run on a PC to control the sockets which can also report voltage. Unfortunately I have found the software buggy.

Energy saving products and devices from Energenie can greatly reduce electricity usage in the home and office and can ensure safe power switching for businesses such as hotels where appliances can be switched off by our range of standby shutdown products.

ENER011_e.jpg

Of even more interest for us HA folk is that the company provide a CLI interface to control the unit and individal sockets as well as publishing an SDK (I know nothing about C+ or C# so a bit complex for me)

We invent safety, because we care about the ecology of our planet with you. Choose only an environmentally friendly product.
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

I do like the look of this

Did you get one? If so, how well does it work?
    Is there anything else in the same price range - there was a GSM controlled socket available a while ago but this was >£200 IIRC...

Cheers,
    Tim.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

• TimH
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2004

I've now got one so will provide some more feedback in due course.
      Initial impressions are good: solidly made, very subtle clicks as the relays go on/off (nothing like the awaken-the-dead thumps of AD10s!), simple web interface, etc.

Haven't used the Energenie hosting for remote access yet as I have a dyndns account and remote access appears to work just fine.

More later,

Cheers,
      Tim.
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

• bailers
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2010

Nice price, £17.50 per circuit!

Comment

• Paul_B
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2006

TimH,

Sorry I should have responded sooner but I'd been putting it off to give the tech team at Energenie a chance to sort out my problems.

- The software that comes with Energenie or can be downloaded from their website constantly crashes for me under Windows 7 32 bit and Windows 8 64 bit. UK tech team have confirmed the same
          - The internal clock in the unit seems to have a bug in that it doesn't keep time when you use an NTP server. This means that if you use the web configuration page of the unit it doesn't honour the on and off time correctly, therefore the unit comes on and goes off at "strange times"

Therefore, as it stands I can't recommend the unit other than to say it has great potential. The tech team at the UK distributor are responsive and helpful but are reliant on teams in other countries. As such I've had the unit for several months and it still doesn't work as intended.

Paul

Comment

• Paul_B
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by TimH View Post
            I've now got one so will provide some more feedback in due course.
            Initial impressions are good: solidly made, very subtle clicks as the relays go on/off (nothing like the awaken-the-dead thumps of AD10s!), simple web interface, etc. .....

More later,

Cheers,
            Tim.
            Tim,

How are you finding the Energenie now that you've using it for some time? Are you using the associated software to give more granular controller and easier scheduling and have you tried the CLI?

My experience, even with the latest software, is that the Power Manager software crashes and is unusable.

Paul

Comment

• TimH
              Automated Home Legend
              • Feb 2004

Hi Paul,

For what I use it for, I've been very happy. However, I've not touched the software and CLI features... I use it as an internet-accessed power switch allowing me to reboot devices from remote locations. The only issues I've had with it have been down to me (unplugged lan cable, not reading the instructions properly, etc.)

I'm finishing-up a review for Mark so hopefully there'll be a few more details shortly (I must remember to flag-up your observations).

Cheers,
              Tim.
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
              X