• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sashaz
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2013

Lutron’s Radio RA in Europe?

Hi I was wondering if Lutron’s Radio RA will be released in Europe (UK) and what type of cost is it in dollars (usually things are same in GBP when released in UK)?
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

I take it you mean the RadioRa 2 system as the Lutron RadioRa system is no longer available and is in Lutron's legacy products section of their website.
    I think they are planning to bring the RadioRa2 system to Europe in July 2013. They where supposed to showcase the system at ISE2013 . But at the moment it seems the only control system available is for curtains or shades.
    I guess once the system takes off or not then they may bring more of the RadioRa 2 system across the pond or not.
    Can't help with any more than that.

Do you want to install a Lutron system, as there are in my opinion much better systems out there, OK many don't have the ***y look switches of Lutron but you can get pretty close.

Also found this on Hidden Wires
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Sashaz
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by toscal View Post
      I take it you mean the RadioRa 2 system as the Lutron RadioRa system is no longer available and is in Lutron's legacy products section of their website.
      I think they are planning to bring the RadioRa2 system to Europe in July 2013. They where supposed to showcase the system at ISE2013 . But at the moment it seems the only control system available is for curtains or shades.
      I guess once the system takes off or not then they may bring more of the RadioRa 2 system across the pond or not.
      Can't help with any more than that.

Do you want to install a Lutron system, as there are in my opinion much better systems out there, OK many don't have the ***y look switches of Lutron but you can get pretty close.

Also found this on Hidden Wires
      Thank you I want to control the lights throughout the house but I dont have a neutral wire (victorian house). I want a robust attractive system. I looked at Zwave but that confused me as there are so many contollers for it (vera etc). I dont want to rewire the house either so I thought that the lutron system has the robustness, the looks and its radio based. I dont like the lightwaverf (I think it looks cheap in the flesh) as it was the initial thing that excited me. Any ideas?

Comment

• Sashaz
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Mar 2013

Yes thank you for your help.

I was after the Lutron system (or similar) without having to rewire everything as its a retrofit job. What do you think is a good alternative if you dont have a neutral wire in your electrical system? I have seen lightwaverf and I do not like the switches by the way.

Comment

• willbank
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Sashaz View Post
          Yes thank you for your help.

I was after the Lutron system (or similar) without having to rewire everything as its a retrofit job. What do you think is a good alternative if you dont have a neutral wire in your electrical system? I have seen lightwaverf and I do not like the switches by the way.
          Have you looked at the Control4 stuff: their existing 'puck' dimmers work behind trad switches or new keypads on standard lighting circuit wiring and any circuits you can rewire to a panel (rather than having run through switches) can use their newly announced DIN-rail panelised system.

I am running a mixture of Control4 (for old trad wired circuits) and Lutron (standard Homeworks QS, in a new kitchen extension where I got to wire it differently) but all integrated in the C4 programming so Lutron calls C4 scenes etc and any C4 control interface can control the Lutron lights too. That there are two systems is invisible from the controls perspective.

C4's zigbee mesh will give you the wireless control.
          Last edited by willbank; 27 March 2013, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• Sashaz
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Mar 2013

I will investigate that today.

Comment

• Sashaz
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Mar 2013

I cant find anywhere that sells it. It seems you can only get the dealer to install it. I have an electician that can install for me.

Comment

• Sashaz
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Mar 2013

I can use a fibaro dimmer and still use it as an on off switch if its connected to a on/off switch I think also?

Comment

• willbank
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Oct 2011

I cant find anywhere that sells it. It seems you can only get the dealer to install it. I have an electician that can install for me.
                  That is true - dealer installs only but that shouldn't mean it's a write-off. Lutron RA product is pretty much dealer install only as well if you want it to work.

Comment

• 21stCenturyElec
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Jan 2013

Hi Sashaz, you can have your electrician fit the C4 stuff and a dealer just do the programming side of it. We are C4 dealers and often work with clients on that basis.

As willbank correctly mentioned the pucks can go behind a switch but to be honest unless you have or can fit a 47mm back box its not a great. When its used to switch downlights we would mount them in the void in a suitable enclosure. C4 are also doing a full centralised system which can be used on areas that get rewired and mixed with the wireless stuff.

The other option could be Rako?

Comment

• Sashaz
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by 21stCenturyElec View Post
                      Hi Sashaz, you can have your electrician fit the C4 stuff and a dealer just do the programming side of it. We are C4 dealers and often work with clients on that basis.

As willbank correctly mentioned the pucks can go behind a switch but to be honest unless you have or can fit a 47mm back box its not a great. When its used to switch downlights we would mount them in the void in a suitable enclosure. C4 are also doing a full centralised system which can be used on areas that get rewired and mixed with the wireless stuff.

The other option could be Rako?
                      The enclosures are not too deep I think. The problem with is that I have 8 down lighters in every room and I dont know the wring circuit for the 8 lights to know where the first power point is to the 8.

This is my requirements to make it easier to get what I am trying to do.

- 4 bedroom house no neutral wires.
                      - approx 20 light switches total
                      - control low voltage lights in some rooms and halogen lights in other rooms.
                      - one room need a double dimmer where one is switch controls the line power to the down lighters and the other to the table lamps plugged into the socket (currently controlled by BO light sensors).
                      - one room need a double dimmer where one is switch controls the line power to the down lighters and the other to control central light that has the same power as the down lighters (ie we presently have one switch to control both sets and I want to seperate them).
                      - want to control with iphone
                      - want light switches that are not battery operated.
                      - dont like lightwave rf

I have looked at all the systems and have gone round in a massive circle.

Comment

• 21stCenturyElec
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Jan 2013

The enclosures are not too deep I think. The problem with is that I have 8 down lighters in every room and I dont know the wring circuit for the 8 lights to know where the first power point is to the 8.

This is my requirements to make it easier to get what I am trying to do.
                        I would not worry about the start point of the downlight circuits any electrician worth his wage can find this in no time.

- 4 bedroom house no neutral wires.
                        No neutral at the light switch?

- approx 20 light switches total
                        How many lighting circuits though as some may be 2-way?

- control low voltage lights in some rooms and halogen lights in other rooms.
                        I would recommend getting shot of any LV downlights if possible personal choice I hate MR16's due to transformer burn outs and I mean BURN outs!!! a fire hazard.

- one room need a double dimmer where one is switch controls the line power to the down lighters and the other to the table lamps plugged into the socket (currently controlled by BO light sensors).
                        No problem?

- one room need a double dimmer where one is switch controls the line power to the down lighters and the other to control central light that has the same power as the down lighters (ie we presently have one switch to control both sets and I want to seperate them).
                        Not so easy, you will probably need a new leg wiring.

- want to control with iphone
                        Most systems offer this now.

- dont like lightwave rf
                        Can't fault you on that, until they make it a two way communication product with true status capability I would use have it on any of our jobs, pluss JSJS are a little guarded about their protocol.

Have you got a realistic budget in mind. is it £100; £1,000; £2,000; £3,000; £4,000; £5,000?

Comment

• Sashaz
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by 21stCenturyElec View Post
                          I would not worry about the start point of the downlight circuits any electrician worth his wage can find this in no time.

No neutral at the light switch?

Its a victorian house so I know for sure there isnt a neutral at the light installation end. The switch I am not quite sure but dont think so (will open one up tonight).

How many lighting circuits though as some may be 2-way?

Thats 16 circuits with the hallway upstairs and downstairs having switches at outlets.

I would recommend getting shot of any LV downlights if possible personal choice I hate MR16's due to transformer burn outs and I mean BURN outs!!! a fire hazard.

Ok will speak to the electrician when he comes round

No problem?

Not so easy, you will probably need a new leg wiring.

I suspected but was hoping not.

Most systems offer this now.

Can't fault you on that, until they make it a two way communication product with true status capability I would use have it on any of our jobs, pluss JSJS are a little guarded about their protocol.

Actually its due to the switches looking cheap in my opinion.

Have you got a realistic budget in mind. is it £100; £1,000; £2,000; £3,000; £4,000; £5,000?
                          Well I think I would spend up to £2500 on it and then I want to maybe add the thermostat control later to it (the central control for the heating not zones etc).

Comment

• 21stCenturyElec
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Jan 2013

Just doing a very quick bit of maths in my head using two products (Rako & Control4) we use on retrofit I think you may struggle at that budget, off the top of my head I can't think of another system that would get you 16 circuits on your budget.

Comment

• Sashaz
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Mar 2013

Checked last night and the light switches have a ground (neutral) switch. So in your estimate how much would it be?

Comment

Working...
                              X