• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SimonG
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2013

Z wave controlled projector screen

Hi folks,
    Bit of a newbie question but does anyone know much about zwave control (blinds, shutters screens etc)? My son has recently persuaded me to buy the stand alone box by z wave (Vera 3) which see,s ok for all the basics, so far so good!
    One thing my son is constantly asking me to do is incorporate the cinema screen we have to the control pad (in this case an iPad or iPod). It's a 230-250v screen & I think I've narrowed it down to the "Hunter Douglas ABMHZ RF / Z-Wave Blind Control 230V"
    Here's a pic of the wiring, I'm not too hot on wiring but know the basics, it seems to have some output wires there (clear plastic covered as seen)

So I'm wondering is it pretty straight forward to fit if it's compatible? I need the screen to work as it does now, one click & open/close & a stop button. If is isn't compatible is there any other module that is?
    8 can't seem to find a simple answer on the net anywhere but have seen it done before, I suppose it's easy once you know!

Thanks guys, help appreciated as ever
  • 21stCenturyElec
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2013

Do you know the model of the screen?

Normally there will be a common neutral and live, then a switch live for up and another for down, with a set of voltage probes these could be easily found by operating the blind.

Comment

• SimonG
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Mar 2013

I see what you mean, I don't have a voltage probe (could probably borrow one) but that would sort out which wires are doing what.
      The make is 'Platinum Home Cinema', from what I can tell they're pretty standard screens, I've seen identical ones with different company logos so they're probably all crimping from the same factory.
      Would the unit I mentioned before be suitable for it? It seems to be fairly straight forward (but they always do!)
      Many thanks for your reply, Simon

Comment

• 21stCenturyElec
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jan 2013

Can you see the colour of the wires going to the motor? are they RED, BLACK, WHITE & GREEN?

Yes that Z-Wave unit will work if your blind is 230V, the do a 110V version as well

Comment

• SimonG
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Mar 2013

The wires are black brown green & red with a standard earth (see pic)

I'm assuming that will be compatible with the z wave unit I mentioned.
          Many thanks for your help by the way! Much appreciated S

Comment

• Vangelis
            Automated Home Guru
            • Sep 2009

Looking at this from another angle. Does the Cinema Screen have an IR remote control option? If it does then have a looksee at http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/produ...-Extender.html This might get round cutting into your wires and should keep any warranty intact.

Comment

• SimonG
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Mar 2013

No it's RF, probably should have mentioned that. Just want to be 100% sure before I buy the z wave unit (not as cheap as I'd like

Thanks for the reply, if you know how I should wire this ip to the unit that would be great!
              Thanks Simon

Comment

• Vangelis
                Automated Home Guru
                • Sep 2009

Ahh ok - How about this instead http://www.homeautomationcompany.co....-relay-switch/ (Check out the schematic pic) Shows 2 live feed controls. One for up and one for down, just don't feed them both at the same time as the Motor will not like it

As for wiring, you will need to use a probe to check that out (be warned, these are mains voltages!! Get someone who knows what they are doing if you are unsure)

Comment

• SimonG
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Mar 2013

Think I've got it now, but yeah I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get someone to wire it, thanks for all the help!
                  I'll probably pop up again soon on this thread if I encounter more probs but for now I think I've got it. My fault for buying a cheap screen(!)
                  Thanks guys, speak soon

Comment

Working...
                  X