• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marcuslee
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Dec 2009

IPD-001 mains loss

Hi All,

Had in instance where the second IPD-001 in the system, suffered a mains loss, unbeknownst.

Didn't realise it had happened until at some point in time (unfortunately 9pm at night), when lights started going off as the connected QLDs started going offline.

VNC'ing into Cortex, and error messages started coming up about various modules no longer being online.

Logging the modules, it became apparent the trend was all the modules on this IPD-001.

Unfortunately I failed to notice the mains loss on the IPD, and instead started replugging all the modules to the first IPD-001 spurs, as all I could see was the IPD looking as if it had failed as it kept coming on and off (symptomatic of the battery backup coming to it's end).

And wasn't until right at the end when things had calmed down and restored, that I noticed.

Lessons learned in this:
    - Alarm Pro mains supply notification was Optioned off due to previous initial implementation setup
    - however what puzzles me is, is there any [Cortex] feedback message on hitting this fatal condition of IPD having no mains, and the IPD's connected battery being exhausted?
    - also looking back through the logs of the IPD, I can't seem to spot anything on when the mains battery loss occurred, does it log it?
    - Is the other source of info "C:\Program Files\Idratek\Cortex\Log"? Going through the files doing a keyword search for "error" or "Warning"?
    - having IPDs shown in plan view is actually quite important, as I think visually it displays mains availability, current load, and battery level?
    - also is there any way to query the battery level of the attached backup battery on the IPD?
    - or if for instance you're running on it, and it's getting near the end?

Advice appreciated,

Marcus
    Last edited by marcuslee; 22 May 2013, 10:26 PM.
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Connections options for our IPS include current & mains loss - 'though there's no Help for the latter (and, on a quick look, we couldn't find a way of making it directly sponsor a message) ... maybe something could be concocted via General Logic objects ?

PS: the Mains Loss connection could be Connected to (eg) a DRB relay or ODO output, which could speak a message of choice when activated - we've used ODOs to feed LEDs on a small status board, one of which is allocated to indicate the mains power situation - and we'll probably be adding a suitable message to be broadcast over the intercoms ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 24 May 2013, 12:07 AM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Karam
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2005

Hmm, this could probably be improved, will look into it. Meantime as Chris suggested above you can make some suitable connections to the Mains power loss connection. Aside from local alerts, something like an e-mail or SMS might be handy.

Comment

• Viv
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Dec 2004

The Alarm Pro not only has an intruder alarm but also what is referred to as an environment alarm.
        The environment alarm includes over temperature, flood, gas etc. It also has mains failure detection.
        The environment alarm will announce the failure and as a result, if the user does not acknowledge the announcement, proceed to email or sms as required.

Viv

Comment

• marcuslee
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Viv View Post
          The Alarm Pro not only has an intruder alarm but also what is referred to as an environment alarm.
          The environment alarm includes over temperature, flood, gas etc. It also has mains failure detection.
          The environment alarm will announce the failure and as a result, if the user does not acknowledge the announcement, proceed to email or sms as required.
          Hi All, thanks for the replies. And indeed Viv's answer is what I have setup (but unfortunately I had the option turned off from previous commissioning session!!).

However following on from that (Viv maybe you could answer):
          - also is there any way to query the battery level of the attached backup battery on the IPD?
          - also looking back through the logs of the IPD, I can't seem to spot anything on when the mains battery loss occurred, does it log it?
          - is the other source of info "C:\Program Files\Idratek\Cortex\Log"? Going through the files doing a keyword search for "error" or "Warning"?

Cheers,

Marcus

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

... environment alarm includes over temperature, flood, gas etc. It also has mains failure detection ...
            when we checked, this afternoon, we could see only temperature ...

Chris

Comment

• marcuslee
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
              when we checked, this afternoon, we could see only temperature ...
              In case this Insert Image doesn't work, Alarm Pro Setup > Alarm Types (tab) > Environment alarms (tab) > Mains loss

Capture.JPG

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                Automated Home Legend
                • Dec 2007

ah, thanks - we were looking under PC / General / Alarm ...

have now added an AlarmPro object to the House and, after clicking it & selecting Behaviour, then dismissing a warning & waiting a bit, your screen appears ...

so now we find it !

now we're wondering what the Alarm under PC is there for ...

Chris

Comment

• marcuslee
                  Automated Home Ninja
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
                  ah, thanks - we were looking under PC / General / Alarm ...

have now added an AlarmPro object to the House and, after clicking it & selecting Behaviour, then dismissing a warning & waiting a bit, your screen appears ...

so now we find it !

now we're wondering what the Alarm under PC is there for ...

Chris
                  I'm pretty sure it's mentioned some where in the Help file, but Alarm is there for the more basic license versions. And those of us who have the more expensive license options, now have an Alarm Pro object. And we should ignore the use of the Alarm Object.

Also I've gone and updated my Plan view setup of the original Alarm object, to 'hide from view'. And then put the Alarm Pro object to show in Plan view, change the icon size up a few notches, and put it in the same spot as the original Alarm object so I don't forget!

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Dec 2007

ah, thanks ... having now got the lighting etc working properly (well, almost there) and some temporary Macros that look after most other things while we build-away, we're just beginning to delve prior to getting proper AlarmPro & HVAC objects set-up ...

Comment

• Viv
                      Automated Home Ninja
                      • Dec 2004

[QUOTE
                      [/QUOTE]

The design of the IPD does not offer a way to query the battery level of the attached backup battery.
                      However Cortex will be updated with additional annotations to show in the history file...
                      If normal mains operation and fully charged – no annotation.
                      If the IPD is running off battery i.e. mains loss.
                      If the IPD is running off mains and the battery is charging.

Viv

Comment

• marcuslee
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Dec 2009

[QUOTE
                        The design of the IPD does not offer a way to query the battery level of the attached backup battery.
                        However Cortex will be updated with additional annotations to show in the history file...
                        If normal mains operation and fully charged – no annotation.
                        If the IPD is running off battery i.e. mains loss.
                        If the IPD is running off mains and the battery is charging.

Viv[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks Viv!

Comment

Working...
                        X