• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrNinjamonkey
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jun 2013

New to Home Automation - Basic questions

Hi,

I always thought i was pretty technical but lately i have come to realise i need to start right at the bottom. I bought a rasp PI when they first came out and didn't really get anywhere apart from getting an OS running (wheezy?), after that i didnt really know where to start. I understand the support for beginners has come a long way so i should dust it off and try again.

Anyway - im looking at HA, ive been interested in it and have been an on/off lurker here for a while. I have some questions i would like some help with, if you wouldn't mind! I understand that the normal way forward is to first describe what im looking for and go from there, so here goes:

1. I would like to be able to control my lights/sockets from my phone (Galaxy s3/Android) - I understand this is fairy basic(?) I get the impression i can put something on every socket/behind every switch?

2. If i want to do the above, can i just buy the socket/switch add-ons and use an app? Presumably something that would identify each one (using wifi?) and allow me to switch them individually/create buttons for multiple actions etc?

3. Reading examples of other projects on here has worried me a little, im seeing people with all sorts of fancy hardware. Am i underestimating how difficult this is? I dont need my house to sing and dance when the sun comes up...just some basic control when im actually there - i suppose if i wanted to be able to check my lights are off or control them away from home then i would need something running full time?

Thanks in advance!
  • Vangelis
    Automated Home Guru
    • Sep 2009

Hi there....

I know they have just released some kind of 'configuration wizard' for the Raspberry Pi so you might want to check this out. As for the hardware, you might want to start to look at the z-wave stack for the Pi (you can buy it built in as the 'Razberry Pi'. But to answer your questions...

1. You would need two things (unless your an app programmer). First is have the Pi run a web-front end. You will then have to code the web page to execute button presses to z-wave cmds. This will then communicate to hardware linked to the lights and sockets (such as Fibaro modules)

2. There is no product (that I am aware of) that allows direct comms from the smartphone direct to the lights/sockets, without some kind of WiFi bridge, so you will need to have the Pi act as that conduit.

3. Z-Wave (version dependant) can be two-way, so you can poll status of devices. However if you are a novice, you might want to ditch the Pi and look at something along the lines of LightaveRF - This will achieve what you want without the need to do any complex setup or programming.

Hope that helps..

Vangelis...

Comment

• b_weijenberg
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Sep 2006

Have a look at http://www.domoticz.com/
      With the RFXtrx433 you are able to control LightwaveRF, HomeEasy, ByeByeStandby, Beckermotors, many others...
      And receive Oregon, TFA, LaCrosse sensors ....

Wheezy installation instructions are clearly described at https://sourceforge.net/p/domoticz/w...aspberry%20PI/

Or order an RFXtrx433 + 4GB SD card http://www.rfxcom.com/store/Transceivers/13103
      Installation instructions are here: http://www.rfxcom.com/Documents/Quic...cz_SD_card.pdf and are as simple as:
      · Make a back-up of the RFXCOM Domoticz SD card
      · Insert the RFXCOM SD card in the Raspberry PI.
      · Connect the RFXtrx USB cable.
      · Connect the LAN cable.
      · Connect the power, wait about 30 seconds.
      · Start a browser and go to <the Raspberry PI IP address port 8080>
      · Select Setup – Hardware

Comment

• DrNinjamonkey
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by b_weijenberg View Post
        Have a look at http://www.domoticz.com/
        With the RFXtrx433 you are able to control LightwaveRF, HomeEasy, ByeByeStandby, Beckermotors, many others...
        And receive Oregon, TFA, LaCrosse sensors ....

Wheezy installation instructions are clearly described at https://sourceforge.net/p/domoticz/w...aspberry%20PI/

Or order an RFXtrx433 + 4GB SD card http://www.rfxcom.com/store/Transceivers/13103
        Installation instructions are here: http://www.rfxcom.com/Documents/Quic...cz_SD_card.pdf and are as simple as:
        · Make a back-up of the RFXCOM Domoticz SD card
        · Insert the RFXCOM SD card in the Raspberry PI.
        · Connect the RFXtrx USB cable.
        · Connect the LAN cable.
        · Connect the power, wait about 30 seconds.
        · Start a browser and go to <the Raspberry PI IP address port 8080>
        · Select Setup – Hardware

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I do like the idea of doing something with my Rasp PI, seems a shame not to use it!

I have a few follow up questions:

1. If i buy that device and plug it into my raspberry PI - what software do i need on the PI? Just Wheezy? Or is the software on the SD card they send?
        2. How difficult is it to use my phone to operate my devices if i go down this route? How would my phone communicate with the PI? (wireless to the PI and then PI communicates with devices?) Is there an app for this?
        3. How does the device actually communicate with the switches/sockets? Radio?

4. If i want to add in scenarios - such as "after midnight make it do the bedroom light switch turns on hall + bathroom" etc, is that easy to program? Is it done using simple logic or do i need to be able to program?

Thank you again, sorry if this is all very basic.

Comment

• b_weijenberg
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Sep 2006

1 You can install Wheezy and Domoticz on the Raspberry PI. The installation procedures are in the Domoticz Wiki.
          Or buy the RFXtrx433 + 4GB SD card and plug the SD card in the Raspberry PI and you can start using Domoticz.

2 You can connect Domoticz with a browser and control your lights, blinds ....
          See http://domoticz.sourceforge.net/DomoticzManual.pdf

3 The RFXtrx433 is a receiver + transmitter that is able to communicate with the listed devices. For the full list of supported devices see the RFXtrx User Guide chapter 2.2 on the RFXCOM download page.

4 You can add timers for control of the lights, blind motors ...

Comment

• DrNinjamonkey
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jun 2013

Thanks so much - going to order now!

- I live in the UK, i have standard switches and plugs - can anyone suggest the cheapest/easiest devices to buy with this set up? There are SO many options it seems.
            - With so many switches and plugs (20 - 30) do i need to worry about interference? Im assuming everything is communicating via radio - will my Rasp PI be able to keep track of that many devices?

- Should i look into a small monitor for the RaspPI? I normally plug it in to a TV when i want to try something. Hoping i can set it up and then just leave it plugged in in a cupboard without a screen?

Thanks again for the help - this forum is ace!

Comment

• b_weijenberg
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Sep 2006

If you are able to install Wheezy and Domoticz using the Wiki instructions you can order the RFXtrx433 also in the UK at:
              Smart Home Automation provider, focusing on the latest wireless sensor network technologies of Z-Wave & Zigbee. We understand how complex it can be to build an automated home, so we make it much simpler by hand-picking the best home security and lighting control components.

Best is to use LightwaveRF or HomeEasy dimmers because they have a set dim level which can be set by the home automation system. There is in fact no limit on the number of dimmers or appliance modules you want to use.

For installation you need the TV as display. After that you can use Domoticz without display.
              If you need a console to the Raspberry PI you can use PuTTY and use the SSH connection to the Raspberry PI http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html
              See chapter 7 in http://www.rfxcom.com/Documents/Quic...cz_SD_card.pdf

Comment

• DrNinjamonkey
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Jun 2013

Thanks again!

Out of interest, if i decide to go for Lightwave RF - would it be easier just to get the Lightwave RF wireless link instead of using my raspPI? apart from making myself feel better with a cool Rasp PI system.... is there any other reason to not just get the out-of-the-box Lightwave system?

Comment

• b_weijenberg
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Sep 2006

The LightwaveRF WiFi-link is the best solution if you want to switch lights on/off.

Use a system like Domoticz,Homeseer,Indigo,DomotiGa... if you want Home Automation and:
                  - that does not rely on a remote server
                  - use also HomeEasy, ByeByeStandby or X10 or KlikAanKlikUit, Chacon, NEXA,....
                  - use temperature/humidity sensors
                  - use OWL power sensors
                  - use it as a security system
                  - use beckermotors RAEX blind motors
                  - use KD101 smoke detectors

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                    Founder
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DrNinjamonkey View Post
                    Out of interest, if i decide to go for Lightwave RF - would it be easier just to get the Lightwave RF wireless link instead of using my raspPI?
                    Have a look at the review to get an idea of the system...

M.
                    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
                    www.twitter.com/ottomate
                    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• DrNinjamonkey
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Jun 2013

I think the full lightwave RF system will be the way i go for now - looking at ebay it seems i can sell the wifi link without much of a loss at a later date anyway. That gives me time to play around with my Rasp Pi a bit more and upgrade later on.

Last couple of questions...i think!

- How easy is it to replace existing sockets and switches? Is it just an obvious screw one off and screw the other on job?
                      - Is every light dimmable or is a dimmable light switch different to a normal on?
                      - What about bulbs...do i need special dimmable bulbs or will the low end tesco ones work fine? Any suggestions on a particular bulb appreciated too!

Thanks again.

Comment

• b_weijenberg
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • Sep 2006

You can use this forum for LightwaveRF questions : http://lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk/forum/

Comment

• Vangelis
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Sep 2009

I have LightwaveRF currently controlling the lights in my home (with the WiFi bridge)

1) Dead easy to replace. The only issue I found is space in the patress box, if there are loads of terminating wires from the previous electrician. The chassis screws in then the magnetic facia plate covers the switch (note, the chrome plates do show fingerprints!!)
                          2) All switches are dimmable apart from the slave units and mode switches
                          3) Be careful with low energy bulbs as these can freak out an flash an low dim. Also overall brightness (at 100%) is less that you would get with a normal switch (this is a known issue with the product). Lightwave do their of CFLs if I recall.

I have scenarios setup whereby the bedroom light comes on @20% with the alarm clock then increases 20 mins later, then finally shuts off when I goto work...

Vangelis

Comment

Working...
                          X