• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marktrueman
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jun 2013

Newbie question RE: Transceivers

Hi there,

I'm just getting into home automation and as i'm from a software engineering background i fancied writing some software to communicate between devices.

I found the following on ebay, which looks good value

I was wondering if anyone had experience of coding apps that use this transceiver. I'd assume that it will communicate with any 433mhz components (and i assume the protocol details are readily available for systems like "Homeasy" or any other wireless systems). I guess the driver for it provides some kind of api for sending protocol messages?

What im aiming for is basic dimming control of lighting when hooked into an XBMC media player, as well as timed lighting control along with PIR sensing to turn lights on at night.

Many thanks

Mark
  • biccies
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2012

I don't think that the protocol details are all that easy to find actually. There's the Rfxcom solution that will recode many protocols though.

Comment

• marktrueman
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jun 2013

Thanks, that looks like a pretty good solution in itself. Certainly tempting.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

I have to agree with biccies on this. Just because it transmits at 433MHz is no guarantee that it would work with a certain protocol. Its like many universal remotes won't actually work with certain manufacturers since their protocols are very different to the norm. Same applies to the 433MHz frequency. And many companies keep their protocols as secret as nuclear launch codes.
        The RFXCOM solution is very good and the guys their are very helpful if you have a problem.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• marktrueman
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jun 2013

cheers guys. Looks like the RFXCOM is the way to go. I'll be back at some point in the future with more questions no doubt.

Comment

• marktrueman
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jun 2013

Actually, i do have another question; does the RFXCOM have an exposed API so that i could write my own apps as opposed to using the likes of VERA?

Comment

• b_weijenberg
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Sep 2006

Contact RFXCOM for the RFXtrx SDK.
              There are also some Open Source Home Automation implementations available like: EventGhost, DomotiGa, Domoticz, Domogik, Homidom, Ed-Win, OSA, FHEM

Comment

Working...
              X