Thread: Sonos & Idratek

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Automated Home Jr Member

Default Sonos & Idratek

Karam & Viv if you ever get bored and think "what shall we do now".....

How about getting Cortex to talk to Sonos? In the same way it does with Squeezebox.

This would probably make my life complete

Chris.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

we don't have Squeezebox or Sonos, so we probably don't understand their capabilities, but were wondering which features would be most useful - co-ordination of music & intercom, use of displays for messages, setting of times for wake-up music, and/or ... ??

Automated Home Jr Member

The simple ability of starting something playing based on presence would be fab. So in the morning walking into the bathroom would trigger Sonos to play a playlist or start a radio station etc.

Then if moving to other room that has a Sonos zone that would then start there too.

Nothing too radical all probably possible via Sonos's api, if I knew what that meant!

Automated Home Sr Member cliffwright's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tizwaz View Post
    The simple ability of starting something playing based on presence would be fab. So in the morning walking into the bathroom would trigger Sonos to play a playlist or start a radio station etc.

Then if moving to other room that has a Sonos zone that would then start there too.

Nothing too radical all probably possible via Sonos's api, if I knew what that meant!
    This would all already be possible via an IR module if I'm not mistaken . . . I currently have an ITR module in my server room that turns on my amplifier & power to the TV when presence is detected in the room (and off again when presence is removed). Your desire to play a Radio station is the same difference . . .

Might there be a way via the xAP interface? I.e. someone already written an application to bridge between Sonos and xAP (and there on to Cortex).

Quote Originally Posted by Karam View Post
    Might there be a way via the xAP interface? I.e. someone already written an application to bridge between Sonos and xAP (and there on to Cortex).
    There isn't a standalone xAP <> Sonos bridge application / device . We can get Sonos onto xAP via a couple of other standalone home automation applications - that have plugins for Sonos which we then expose via xAP but Cortex users aren't likely to want to go that path, which is the the way I do this myself. The Sonos UPnP implementation is very tricky to implement in a useful/complete way as it's non standard too, although basic transport control start/stop/pause and possibly volume is much easier.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

>I currently have an ITR module in my server room that turns on my amplifier & power to the TV when ...

interesting - how many different devices could one ITR module cope with ...

does every device use unique codes ...

is every make or model of TV or DVR or whatever, distinguishable ...

or ... ????

Automated Home Sr Member cliffwright's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    >I currently have an ITR module in my server room that turns on my amplifier & power to the TV when ...

interesting - how many different devices could one ITR module cope with ...

does every device use unique codes ...

is every make or model of TV or DVR or whatever, distinguishable ...

or ... ????
    It's down to Cortex rather than the module - but the cortex helpfile states it can hold upto 140 different IR frames.

Yes - most devices will use unique codes although obviously if you've got more then 1 of any device, or if you've maybe got some devices of the same brand you may find they share codes so something to watch out for.

The ITR just "learns" the IR packets and you assign them to a virtual remote control button in Cortex - which you can you then tinker with logic controls to trigger as you need. I've added buttons for each of the "on", "off" (where this isn't a repeat of the "on" IR packet), "Vol up", "Vol down" and a couple of the "mode" and "Tuner pre-set" options for my amp in case I wanted to set it to auto turn on and tune to my favourite radio station and switch to output to the bathroom / kitchen etc.

It works pretty well - the only thing to watch out for is positioning of the ITR module in a clear view of the devices - mine are all rack mounted under the stairs and I've put the ITR on the wall facing them so it works flawlessly unless there happens to be someone in the cupboard reaching for a coat at the exact moment an IR frame is passed (ie never) - but if that's an issue, the ITR module has a connection for an external TX so you could position an IR blaster right in front of the device a bit like the SKy Remote extenders do . . .

Automated Home Sr Member ludditeal's Avatar

Sonos doesn't use IR, it uses Wifi to control the devices, either via an App or dedicated controllers.

It does have some sort of UPNP exposure I believe but I would have no idea what you do with that.

Does is have an SDK or API guide? The beauty of Squeezebox was that it was open-source and fully documented including API. I think Sonos is likely to more propitiatory making the task a lot harder if they haven't provided an API for integration

Paul