• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Moriarty
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2013

Z-Wave Power Sockets

Hey there.

I'm mostly new to this Home Automation malarkey and am currently immersing myself in the mind boggling array of options.
    I currently have a small flat which I want to use as a bit of a test bed before I buy a larger place in a year or twos time and go all out. I've been looking at different options for fitting out some home automation and it seems Z-Wave is the best way to go for me but I do have one question.
    I spent a long hard look at LightwaveRF which has the simplicity advantage and manages to not look like something from the 80s but the lack of two way communication and status reporting kills it for me.

One of the most important things for me is the aesthetics which means I want to avoid the plug in adaptors. I had some HomeEasy wireless ones before and they just look a bit messy. I've seen a lot about these in wall relays which go behind light switches to convert existing switches to Z Wave which are perfect for what I have in mind at the current flat.

However I am a little confused about sockets. Is there a way using Z-Wave products to convert existing UK power sockets to Z-Wave? LightwaveRF has very nice looking 1 and 2 gang sockets but I've been unable to find a Z-Wave equivalent and I'm unsure if the In-Wall relays can be used the same way.

If this isn't possible with Z-Wave is it possible to achieve this with any other solution?

Thanks in advance for any help
    Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by Mr Moriarty; 31 July 2013, 08:56 PM.
  • Quinten
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • May 2004

The fibaro relay module is small enough to (if the back box is deep enough) fit behind a UK socket, but unless you are hacking the power lines of the socket internally (they are connected by metal strip), you are going to control both outlets at the same time. Other than that, it's entirely doable...
    Awooga!!!

Comment

• Mr Moriarty
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jul 2013

Thanks for the reply.

That's a bit annoying but not a killer issue. I shall have to look into it a bit more.
      The LightwaveRF sockets are just so much easier and handy yet no one seems to do a UK version for Z Wave. I've come across US versions but not too much use.

Comment

Working...
      X