Thread: Webcam house alarm system - Home automation (demonstration)

Automated Home Lurker

Default Webcam house alarm system - Home automation (demonstration)

Hi gents,

Have been using Vox Commando and Eventghost for a while and thought I'd demonstrate one of my more entertaining projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob6XSw4wSvc

There's a tutorial on my channel too if you're interested and some other projects (demos and tutorials). Anyone else done anything similar in the house alarm field?

Thanks,

-P

Interesting project... Had a look at some of the video's but it wasn't clear regarding how you get Voice Commander to be able to intercept cmds (if at all) when another media source is playing (and potentially overwhelming distinguishable voice input). I can see some of the events used to disable Mic input but might have missed the re-enable?

Another question regarding training - Can you switch profiles based on Keyword? i.e I could use Bob as my keyword and it would run my trained profile and my wife could use Vera to run her's. Unsure if this is possible with the SW you are using?

Vangelis

Automated Home Lurker

Hi mate, yeah, Vox is incredibly customisable.

I have it auto - duck the music when I say his name "Alexander" .

He automatically stops listening to me after any command that is scenario based, I. E. Play music will automatically stop him listening and you'll hear the chime to let you know he's stopped listening , but if it is non - scenario based commands then I can say "ignore me", so if I've said "go up 3 and select" I can follow it up with "ignore me" so he'll stop listening.

Me and Neesha have exactly the commands you describe, she has to put on a slightly gruff voice and say "Alexander it's Neesha" to change to her profile, and if I want to change to my voice profile then I have to put on a girly voice and say "it's your daddy"

The software is amazingly intuitive, even I can use it and the community support is nothing short of a miracle, well worth the 30 dollars. Give the free trial a go! I'll be on hand to help if you get stuck, and my YouTube videos will have plenty of advice to get you going.

-P

Automated Home Jr Member

Top job Mr Wolf, that is very interesting - I looked at voice a while back, but the technology just wasn't around then. I don't think that I am ready to start with the voice just yet, but it was certainly interesting enough for me to run some high quality microphone cables whilst laying out my cables. Do you know if there is anyway that it can recognize a single word spoken by different people to change profiles - without having to do the high pitch/low pitch thing?

Thanks

Graham

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks mate. I'm going to have to lay cables when I get my own place. You should take some photos of the finished product

I think VOX has some fairly recent functionality for learning certain commands by recording it as a wav, but I'm not sure you could convince it to use two wavs, I've never tried the functionality to see how far you can take it.

What I do have though is Eventghost send a command to Vox to switch profile when Neesha presses a button on her mobile phone. That works perfectly should it be required and very easy to set up. I have a button on my phone to switch to my profile, but I don't tend to need it because I do a pretty good Neesha impression

Eventghost is handy for that sort of thing. I created a couple buttons on Neesha's phone to switch the webcam alarm on and off too in case it's simply not recognising the voice.

-P