• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrFluffy
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Aug 2005

networking a trv

Hi, Anyone got any good suggestions on a networkable trv?
    We currently have upstairs of our house with silvercrest digital stand alone trv's thrown on as a temporary measure while we were getting the house built. I have a network cable ran to a box next to each radiator point and each of the rooms already has a thermometer that the control computer can read in realtime, and I'd like to bring them all under central control. The silvercrest's have a connection port on the side but its completely undocumented, not even listed in the manual, but I'll split one apart and have a probe round but I can see nothing about hacking one on the net. Probably its easier to buy a unit that can be hacked about and just have them as emergency spares in a drawer.

I see the Honeywell HR20E can be reflashed to make the changeover points change via rs232, and I can easily add a rs232->ethernet board inside a backbox per unit, but it makes me nervous as new firmwares are mentioned, with changing processors etc and in my experience that means if you dont buy the same revision as the authors it wont work.

Protocol has to be documented, and I don't want anything that has some overreaching "intelligent controller" in between my automation system and the trv's. Got all that already, I just want something I can tell what temperature I want that radiator to be when I want it.
    Is there a trv value out there thats documented, easy to interface to in rs232 or even ethernet (not wireless) so I can send it new temperature points?
  • SensibleHeatUK
    • Feb 2009

If you want to use your own control logic then why not fit basic thermal actuators to your rads and switch these from a controller where you can set up your own control loops/strategy?

I doubt that you'll find published details for any of the commercial TRVs as they have either been designed for stand-alone operation (ie no on-board comms for user communication) or are typically fitted with wireless transceivers often with proprietary protocols.

If you can find a Zigbee or zwave actuator then you might be able to fit this into your system with the appropriate ***eway.
    Sensible Heat
    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• MrFluffy
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Aug 2005

Thanks for your reply.
      Presuming you mean just run a actuator with no thermostatic control on the valve. I can do that and use the room sensors to set the temperature required level.

I tried a spare upanor/wirsbo ufh actuator off my ufh system on the trv body, but its a different thread and wont screw on, so I would have to buy new actuators with a standard m30 thread size for my trv bodies, or change the distribution manifold for a wirsbo one. At the moment it is just multiple brass manifolds with mechanical penny valves to each radiator but its buried inside a wall cavity behind a hatch and much work to change.
      I had figured just to run actuators at the radiators somehow, and wanted a system I could downgrade to "normal" thermostatic trv valves should we sell the house as my wife is insistant "nobody" wants to buy smart homes. So that points to not replacing the manifold.

Comment

• skiv71
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Apr 2013

Hi,

I'm doing this on my setup with thermo electric valves and sockets, all controlled by my bms box

http://ndautomation.net:8180 [guest:guest]

Neil

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MrFluffy View Post
          Thanks for your reply.
          Presuming you mean just run a actuator with no thermostatic control on the valve. I can do that and use the room sensors to set the temperature required level.

I tried a spare upanor/wirsbo ufh actuator off my ufh system on the trv body, but its a different thread and wont screw on, so I would have to buy new actuators with a standard m30 thread size for my trv bodies, or change the distribution manifold for a wirsbo one. At the moment it is just multiple brass manifolds with mechanical penny valves to each radiator but its buried inside a wall cavity behind a hatch and much work to change.
          I had figured just to run actuators at the radiators somehow, and wanted a system I could downgrade to "normal" thermostatic trv valves should we sell the house as my wife is insistant "nobody" wants to buy smart homes. So that points to not replacing the manifold.
          I'm suggesting using a thermal actuator to fit your existing TRV body (if it's a Honeywell valve then their MT4 is a perfect for, otherwise any other M30x1.5mm actuator should be fine), that way you can always refit the "standard" head if you want to return the system to its original state.

Regarding smart homes, my view is that providing you build the system out of recognisable elements that are documented properly and easy to use then you are probably adding value that many will appreciate. However if it is a one-off unique system using a DIY approach then it's difficult to sell on as it's just to unique to your own requirements. However providing the DIY approach can be easily converted back to a recognisable standard then why not role your own system and have the benefits until such time as you decide to sell or move on?

Room zoning using wired or wireless actuators on the radiators is becoming a much more accepted approach as it is simply updating the conventional TRV which has been used for decades to something that is much more fit for purpose, improving energy efficiency, comfort, and ease of operation.
          Sensible Heat
          SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• Otto-Mate
            Founder
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by SensibleHeatUK View Post
            Regarding smart homes, my view is that providing you build the system out of recognisable elements that are documented properly and easy to use then you are probably adding value that many will appreciate. However if it is a one-off unique system using a DIY approach then it's difficult to sell on as it's just to unique to your own requirements.
            Exactly.

M.
            Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
            www.twitter.com/ottomate
            www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• skiv71
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Apr 2013

... this is what i had done. The existing valve bodies were danfoss (non standard) so i had them all swapped out, fitted thermo electric where i wanted control, throttled the 2 bypass rads... and retained the trv body if i need to revert to stock... like moving

Neil

http://ndautomation.net:8180 [guest:guest]

Comment

Working...
              X