• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • engine44
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2013

HA Controllers

Hi,

I am technically trained but new to HA. I understand that a controller is usually the brains of the system but there are several different types (USB sticks, remote controllers, tabletop boxes, etc.). The various manufacturers claim that they all do everything. That can't be. USB sticks only cost about 50, whereas the tabletop units cost hundreds.

Could someone please explain the differences in capabilities.

Thanks
  • Homer
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2009

Hi,
    To put it simply, if you already have a pc running home automation software such as Homeseer, then you can just use a £50 plug in USB device and the pc will do the hard work. The more expensive table top controller devices will have their own built in processing power, and so are self contained home automation devices that you simply plug in - such as the Vera, and the Hometroller.

Comment

• back_ache
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2009

What controllers are Ethernet connected and have a good API/webservice whatever I can get at?

I am looking to use z-wave for my outdoor lighting but don't want to tie myself into a pure z-wave solution or leaving a PC on, also as someone who does technical all day I want something I can set-and-forget as I want my hometime to be downtime!

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

See Loxone.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• martyn.wendon
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by back_ache View Post
          What controllers are Ethernet connected and have a good API/webservice whatever I can get at?

I am looking to use z-wave for my outdoor lighting but don't want to tie myself into a pure z-wave solution or leaving a PC on, also as someone who does technical all day I want something I can set-and-forget as I want my hometime to be downtime!
          There's quite a few Z-Wave controllers about, MiCasaVerde Vera, Fibaro Home Center 2, HomeTroller Zee, Zipato Zipabox, Z-Wave.me ZBox to name a few.

The AH site did reviews of the Vera, Fibaro and Zipato boxes, worth having a read through them.

Personally I'm a fan of the Vera, set-and-forget out of the box and has masses of community development on the MiCasaVerde forums offering plugins to integrate with just about anything else so you don't get tied to one technology.
          Martyn Wendon
          Vesternet
          Check out my Blog!

Comment

Working...
          X