• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trevorjdaniel
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2005

Have I blown up my module?

Hi There!

I have bought 2 wall mountable X10 light modules. I was hoping to control strip of 6, 50 Watt halogen lamps.

I replaced my standard light switch and after I switched the fuse box back on, the lights worked for about 30 seconds, then stopped. When I checked the fuse in the module, it was blown.

After then replacing the fuse, it still won't work.

I then swapped out the module with my other brand new module and exactly the same thing happened.

Is it possible that I may have blown the modules and they are now scrap?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Trev
  • jon00
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jan 2004

Re: Have I blown up my module?

I assume you are talking about a LW10 wall dimmer?

If you have replaced the fuse then yes I would suspect the modules have been destroyed.

If your halogen lights are the low Voltage type then this would have caused the problem ( they only like incandescent lighting and must not be used on LV or flouresent bulbs).

If you are using mains GU50 halogens, then using a module to its absolute limit (300W) is not good practice.
    Jon

www.jon00.me.uk

Comment

• trevorjdaniel
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2005

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply....

I just blew another one up! This is getting rather expensive at £20 a shot!

So, if these can only control incandescent lights, is there a plug around that can control low voltage halogens for x10 do you know?

Thanks

Trev

Comment

• jon00
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Jan 2004

As a direct replacement wall switch - no.

The best method is to use LD11 DIN rail modules but would reqiure a re-wire. These use a momentary switch to perform on/off and dim functions. The module is located in the fuse board.

If you can reduce the load to 200W Halogen then you could use a Marmitek LWM1 Micro-module. This fits inside a standard switch box and again uses a momentary switch. These are VERY expensive! PDF: http://www.letsautomate.com/pdf/11025.pdf
        Jon

www.jon00.me.uk

Comment

• trevorjdaniel
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jan 2005

Hi Jon,

You are spot on again. I have just ordered myself 12 DIN modules for the showroom. As you also point out, this is going to mean some re-wiring as the electricians havn't run enough wires out to each individual light.

I know have to get flush wall panels put into the walls near each light fitting to put the LD11's in. This then means the electricians can run a few extra "short" runs to the switches.

After a long discussion with them, it didn't appear possible to keep them all in the fuse box area.

I'll keep you posted.

Trev

Comment

• MrFluffy
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Aug 2005

You used to be able to buy X10 wall switches in a special version for non incandesent loads, I have one here, it is the same in appearance to the regular x10 light switches but has a red led that illuminates when powered on and makes a distinct click like a normal x10 appliance module and is rated at 13 amp load from memory . I bought it to control the flourecents in my kitchen and it was just the job if a little expensive compared to the stock one.
            It is a uk module, and I can get the actual model designation from it later on if thats any use. I say used to, because I havent checked if you can and I bought this one quite a few years back.
            Also they may be expensive, but it will be a load cheaper and neater than geting the electricians back to rewire the showroom completely and you wont need the extra hardware to remote switching the din rail modules then...

Comment

• MrFluffy
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Aug 2005

Ok, this is probally more for everyone else finding this, since you probally bought all your din modules and did your rewiring anyway..
              The module is a AW10U and is rated at 10a resistive load, 3A motor load (inductive?) and 2KW incandescent and differs from the normal x10 lamp switch by having a small red window in the button for the indicator and requires a connection to the neutral wiring too.

Comment

Working...
              X