• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • engine44
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2013

HA Controllers

Hi,

I am technically trained but new to HA. I understand that a controller is usually the brains of the system but there are several different types (USB sticks, remote controllers, tabletop boxes, etc.). The various manufacturers claim that they all do everything. That can't be. USB sticks only cost about 50, whereas the tabletop units cost hundreds.

Could someone please explain the important differences in capabilities and features.

Thanks
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Its a bit like asking what is the difference between a Rolls Royce and the cheapest car on the planet. Both take you from A to B but one does it in amazing comfort while the other probably just gets you there on less than a tank of fuel.
    Rather than looking at what they do first, look at what you want to be able to do. Then look at the systems that ticks all these boxes.
    Some are stand alone which means they don't require a PC to be running full time some require a PC just for programming or initial set up. While others require a PC to be running full time.
    Also look at expandability, many system look good, but can not be expanded.

Take a look at these systems
    Loxone very good and very capable system with loads of potential through expandable modules.
    Idratek Another very good system. And also expandable.

If I was to redo my house or start in a new one I would choose one of these, which one would come down to budget at the time. Idratek also has its own sub forum on here.

Both the above systems can do virtually the same things but take different approaches in the way they achieve it.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
    X