Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cortex PC BSOD overnight :-(

Automated Home Sr Member mcockerell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcuslee View Post
    Could I ask if this is a manual backup? And is it just the Cortex database or something more?.
    We have a Windows Home Server which holds all our media files (mainly music) and shared data - during the daily backup window it backs up every attached PC.
    As the Cortex PC is always on-line we get a full system backup every day (it's actually incremental) and this is sufficient to restore to a new disk if necessary.
    The server automatically manages the backup retention periods. I believe that it's possible to set-up something similar with a Windows 8 system.

Quote Originally Posted by m****erell View Post
    We have a Windows Home Server which holds all our media files (mainly music) and shared data - during the daily backup window it backs up every attached PC.
    As the Cortex PC is always on-line we get a full system backup every day (it's actually incremental) and this is sufficient to restore to a new disk if necessary.
    The server automatically manages the backup retention periods. I believe that it's possible to set-up something similar with a Windows 8 system.
    Thanks for reply. I wasn't aware of this feature and it's definitely of interest (if not a must have really).

Also to add, about the laptop bit, another couple of things:
    - Lenovo battery utility comes with a few options, one of which is change charge thresholds to try to "Optimize for battery lifespan". Not sure if it fully works, but for what it's worth
    - also one final big one, it's BIOS set-able to "power the laptop on when AC power is attached". Something I've found missing from a lot of laptops vs their desktop cousins, is the ability to "restore PC powered up state as it was prior to power cut". ie when a laptop looses AC power, and it's battery depletes, and Windows does it's either go to hibernate (or let to run through to nothing), it won't ever come back on when power is finally restored

Re Lenovo laptops, do they all have these features (esp BIOS one) or just more business oriented models?
    Very happy with my existing laptop but it will only run XP, so looking for a change in the next 6 months.
    Thanks
    JonS

Quote Originally Posted by JonS View Post
    Re Lenovo laptops, do they all have these features (esp BIOS one) or just more business oriented models?
    Very happy with my existing laptop but it will only run XP, so looking for a change in the next 6 months.
    I'm not sure actually, but I am aware of the old Thinkpad SL series, not having this feature.

Having said that there's this Lenovo portal which allows you to boot the BIOS for machines so you can see what they look like:
    http://service.lenovo.partner-manage...t.cfm?eid=1437

On another note, I note that no one replied to say they're using the dual Cortex PC setup? I wonder about the reliability of the setup?