• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

Temperature sensor event ports?

I'm trying to set up a wall hung fire using a general logic object. I'd like the fire to turn on if the room is occupied and the outside temperature is below a certain value. I have the gate set up for occupancy fine but after selecting my outside temperature object there aren't any event ports available. Am I approaching this right? I see that light sensors offer on going dark etc.
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Temperature object / Behaviour window / bottom left icons / one of them gives access to thresholds which are connectable ...
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Andrew Millne
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Nov 2007

Thanks Chris I'm getting there.

I've set up the threshold on the outside temperature as going below 10 to test (temperature is currently 10.4) but the output always seems to be backwards. For example this is how I have things set up.

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

already the gate is evaluating true here even though the temperature is above 10. If I decrease the temperature (simulated by adding an offset like so I would expect the logic gate to still evaluate true but as shown below this now evaluates false

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Even if I toggle the threshold from going below to going above, I see the same exact behaviour which I would expect to be reversed.

I have a feeling I'm going to be feeling pretty stupid once I figure this out

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

in-haste -

General Logic / Analogue gates / Threshold & others ...

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

Andrew -

curious to know if you got thresholds (going up or down) working - our set-up relies on a few of such things for triggering heat-dump, and your experience seems to suggest we should be checking them out !

Chris

Comment

• Andrew Millne
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Nov 2007

Hi Chris. I'll be trying again at the weekend and will let you know how I get on. I didn't have much luck with it this week.

Comment

• Viv
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Dec 2004

Use a threshold either going above or below it does not matter.
              Use the 'State output...'.
              It will be a logic 1 above the threshold and 0 below the threshold.
              Connect this to an AND gate input.
              The other input of AND gate can be to occupany...
              Do as required with the AND output.

Viv.

Comment

• Andrew Millne
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Viv View Post
                Use a threshold either going above or below it does not matter.
                Use the 'State output...'.
                It will be a logic 1 above the threshold and 0 below the threshold.
                Thanks Viv,

I guess this is the issue. Unless I'm misunderstanding, the state output will always be 1 above the threshold and 0 below whereas for the logic gate I'm using this would need to be inverted when used in conjunction with the occupied state output.

In the example above I need the going below state out to be true below the threshold not above. I feel like I'm missing the obvious here.

Comment

• JonS
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Andrew Millne View Post
                  I'm trying to set up a wall hung fire using a general logic object. I'd like the fire to turn on if the room is occupied and the outside temperature is below a certain value.
                  Going back to the original query ... why not use an HVAC object with the temperature input the outside temp and occupancy of the room where the fire is. Switching the fire on will not impact outside temp so it should work as you wish without wrestling with logic.
                  2p
                  JonS
                  JonS

Comment

• Andrew Millne
                    Automated Home Ninja
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by JonS View Post
                    Going back to the original query ... why not use an HVAC object with the temperature input the outside temp and occupancy of the room where the fire is. Switching the fire on will not impact outside temp so it should work as you wish without wrestling with logic.
                    2p
                    JonS
                    Thanks Jon. I had thought of this for using the fire as a supplementary heat source on the existing HVAC object in the room (already heated via radiator with attached RVA) but the fire won't appear as a useable heat source as it is an electric fire triggered via infrared. A distinct on and off IR code is also not available just a toggle, though the line of sight to the IR transmitter is good and I'm yet to get out of step in testing. The idea therefore was to trigger this IR command on the change of state for the logic gate. The reason for triggering it on outside temperature change was to increase perceived comfort levels and create warm fuzzies when it is particularly grim outside.

Comment

• Karam
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Mar 2005

Andrew,

The 'State ...' connection is somewhat unintuitive. In your example the going below threshold will trigger a signal from the threshold object when the temperature goes below the threshold, however what is actually going into the gate is the threshold 'state' which here is defined as 1 if above threshold and 0 if below. So, as you say, even though the threshold going below is 'true' the state value is '0'. The threshold therefore creates the trigger but does not transmit a '1'. So to get what you want you will have to put a NOT gate between the State output connection and the input of your AND gate.

On the other hand what Jon suggested can also be made to work by connecting the output of the HVAC to a virtual boiler object (implemented by a non network enabled relay containing object for example). Then you can use the output connections from the virtual boiler to drive the IR button controlling the fire. It may be possible to use verification to deal with synchronisation lapses but I don't know which signals you might be able to use for this and whether these give a good enough indication.

Comment

• Andrew Millne
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Karam View Post
                        Andrew,
                        So to get what you want you will have to put a NOT gate between the State output connection and the input of your AND gate.
                        Thanks Karam, all working now after chaining a NOT gate.

Comment

Working...
                        X