Thread: Cores & threads ...

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

Default Cores & threads ...

CPUs can be multi-cored ... eg: Pentium single core, Core-i3 dual core, Core-i5 quad core ...

OK, the marketeers have been playing games, so it's not quite as simple as that, but nevermind ...

likewise Apps can be threaded - single or multi ... and, if multi, can take advantage of multi-cores ...

OSs, too, can be clever enough to look-out for mutli-threading opportunities ...

question is, though - is Cortex multi-threaded ...

and how clever is Windows ... Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 ...

in other words, if buying a new PC, to be used just to run Cortex (and whatever else it needs, but no-more), what sort of CPU should we go-for ... ????

ie: would the more expensive ones show to advantage ... ?

likewise, Cache is used to alleviate load on RAM, and RAM is used to alleviate load on HD ...

and i5 has more Cache than i3, which has more than Pentium ...

in other words, how much RAM would it be best to go for ... ??

anyone any ideas ?
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 4th November 2013 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post

question is, though - is Cortex multi-threaded ...

?
    Load Task Manager, look under performance, see under totals number of threads running.
    Then load Cortex and run network.
    On my system I see 24 extra threads for Cortex. This is without email, webserver and many other events happening which will start more threads.

I would go i3 processor min. But laptops with i3 can seem pretty slow to me.

Viv.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

ah, good, many thanks ...

reading up on i3 i5 i7 etc it seems desktop & mobile versions differ a lot in what they actually are, also there's i3 & i3, and i5 & i5 ... ie: quite big variations within the name ... also some versions called Xeon, that are far removed from regular Xeon ...

marketeer minefield, in other words !

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    reading up on i3 i5 i7 etc it seems desktop & mobile versions differ a lot in what they actually are, also there's i3 & i3, and i5 & i5 ... ie: quite big variations within the name ... also some versions called Xeon, that are far removed from regular Xeon ...
    This is a very handy site which allows you to compare CPU types for raw grunt http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
    I have win7 on an i3 laptop and W8 on an i5. The i5 is quicker, but in normal use not a lot. Beware any laptop seems to come with stacks of bumpf which hampers performance os you either need to run something like http://download.cnet.com/PC-Decrapif...-10636481.html or get an install disk and start again. Memory wise go for min 4GB on 64bit should be plenty if well cleaned of junk processes, chose a laptop with a spare slot so you can upgrade if required.

HTH
    JonS