Thread: Wireless lighting control

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Automated Home Sr Member

Default Wireless lighting control

Hi! Does anyone know if it is possible to control outdoor lights using either a wireless module or somehow through a powerline type device? I have a detached garage converted to a granny flat about 15m from the house. When it was converted, the previous owners installed a lamp post as well as lights for the gates, but controlled with light switches in the annexe. This is, of course, a pain! There is no way for me to get an Idratek cable across to the annexe, but the power to the annexe comes from the main house itself, through a breaker. I am currently using a wifi repeater for wifi access, but might try and get a powerline device for wired ethernet (assuming it would work through the breaker). It would be fantastic if there was a wireless idratek module!

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

>no way for me to get an Idratek cable across to the annexe ...

how about a more circuitous route, between house & annexe - if not with the mains supply, straight across, how about in a pipe let into the garden - distance maybe doesn't matter ?

or, perhaps, without a cable, using some of the Rako kit ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 6th November 2013 at 12:13 AM.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    >no way for me to get an Idratek cable across to the annexe ...

how about a more circuitous route, between house & annexe - if not with the mains supply, straight across, how about in a pipe let into the garden - distance maybe doesn't matter ?

or, perhaps, without a cable, using some of the Rako kit ...
    There is really no option to get a cable across without a lot of cost! With money, anything is possible! A circuitous route would take about 50m - might be hitting cable length limits?

1. X10 - I had forgotten about X10 - it is a type of powerline technology, afterall!
    2. LightwaveRF - sounds possible, but I don't think I can get Cortex to interface to it. Not sure how reliable the RF is either.
    3. Wifi enabled energy saving light bulbs - might be an option.

If only idratek packets can be modulated within TCP/IP packets in a module. I can then use a powerline ethernet device and plug the module in.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

just a thought, but .. when we needed to run IDRANet out to the shed, not having planned or made provision to do it, we threaded cables (Cat-5e STP IDRANet, Cat-5e UTP Ethernet, Cat-6 Ethernet) into a redundant water pipe that ran from house to shed ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 6th November 2013 at 11:17 PM.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    just a thought, but .. when we needed to run IDRANet out to the shed, not having planned or made provision to do it, we threaded cables (Cat-5e STP IDRANet, Cat-5e UTP Ethernet, Cat-6 Ethernet) into a redundant water pipe that ran from house to shed ...
    I am thinking about it - currently the water to the annexe comes from the main house. We might apply for a separate water supply, and I can then use the current piping. Hence, the "cost" I mentioned previously. I do need to explore lighwaveRF a bit more - looks like I might just get it to work...

Don't know about lightwaveRF, but I can probably help you with a HomeEasy genre solution. Believe it or not but we do have some radio transceiver 'development' products which have ben gathering dust for a few years... One such should allow you to control a HomeEasy device. If you think this might help contact me for further detail.

As for IDRATEK - IDRATEK over TCP/IP, well of course this has existed almost from day 1 in the form of the Cortex bridge object, but not very practical for small situations since it requires Cortex at both ends. Yeah, I know what you're going to say about porting to linux...