Z wave remote controls. Where are they ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Homer
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2009

Z wave remote controls. Where are they ?

I have a PC Homeseer HA set up with Z-wave (Aeon Labs Z-stick 2), X10 (CM11) and BBSB (RFXtrx433) devices. The idea is to slowly move over to z-wave, but there don't seem to be many Z wave remote controls. I can see the GE 45600 on @bay, but are they any good ? Since most of them seem to be sold from the USA, I would wager that they are the wrong z-wave frequency.

Does anybody have any z-wave remote controls that they can recommend ?
  • martyn.wendon
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2013

I like the Aeon Labs minimote myself, but to be honest, in my setup, I hardly ever need or use a remote nowadays apart from controlling TV, Sky, etc. I use a Logitech Harmony Touch for that and can integrate IR into the mix if I want to.

Is there a particular purpose that you need a Z-Wave remote for?
    Martyn Wendon
    Vesternet
    Check out my Blog!

Comment

• Homer
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Sep 2009

Hi Martyn,

I have Homeseer set up with a USB-UIRT to turn everything on (Motorised projector screen/HD projector/ AV amp/ subwoofer/ BBSB sockets to isolate standby loads) with a simple Sky "ON" [Maximum wife approval factor], and to turn the ceiling light on with Sky "Pause" etc, but I have four different light sources in the living room, and so would like a remote control with four on/off buttons to control them if I am not using the AV equipment. At the moment I am using Homeseer to receive KR22 X10 remote commands, and turn them into Z-wave commands. So much for getting rid of X10 !

In the main bedroom, we have individual bed side lights, a table lamp and the ceiling light under HA control. When they were all X10 it was easy for my wife to control the lights with another KR22, but now as I change more over to z-wave, it begins to get difficult.

I have twice sent emails to a guy on Ebay selling GE-456000 who appears to be in Germany (until you find the home address in the USA) asking if they are the US or European frequencies, but I just get a stock answer "we will ask our supplier" and I never get a response. I even told him to look on the package as it might tell you which frequency they work on :-(

I now have Homeseer V3 Pro and so will be able to (when I have it set up - presently using HS2) use my android devices to switch multiple items, but for normal simple use, I want a simple remote control with enough buttons on it for the lights in the room !
      Last edited by Homer; 6 December 2013, 08:53 AM. Reason: Badd spelinge

Comment

• martyn.wendon
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Dec 2013

Understood!

Like I said, I'm using the minimote from Aeon Labs. Nice and dinky and has a decent level of functionality - buttons for simple on / off plus scenes. Also has secondary controller function too for including / excluding devices and doing associations.

I also use the Z-Wave.me wall controller which is a battery powered light switch / scene controller. It has a few issues but can be made to run scenes pretty easily using combinations of click / double click / triple click / etc. I'm using a Vera so it's really easy to set up toggles, effectively doubling the available scenes (you can probably do the same in HomeSeer). So 1 click on lower half of paddle toggles main light, 1 click on upper half of paddle toggles dressing area lights, double click on bottom half of paddle toggles my bedside lamp, double click on top half of paddle toggles other halfs bedside lamp.
        Martyn Wendon
        Vesternet
        Check out my Blog!

Comment

Working...
        X