X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kaivalagi
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2014

Anyone know of any TRVs like the Stella Z ones but with manual controls on them? I really do want a z-wave TRV which can be controlled from both a controller and manually....the Danfoss stuff is there but I don't think they function completely as they should with z-wave commands (unlike the Stella Z's) right?

Worth waiting to see?

I don't really want to use an alternative protocol so I can have manual control, if I were to I'd likely punt for those Pegler i30 TRVs assuming I could make some things happen remotely using the RFXCOM stuff....

Comment

• wysinawyg
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Oct 2013

I don't think such a thing exists, certainly I've looked and only found Stella-Z and Danfoss.

Personally I much prefer the idea of an application for it. I definitely see the benefit of hard controls for things (I'm putting in limited hard button controls of Sonos in my project) but if that involves bending over a radiator in a corner of a room squinting at the LCD...

I'm also finding the temperature sensing of the TRVs (Stella-Zs) a little off. Works fine in some rooms but in some cases (either lack of airflow or I think some just seem to conduct more heat) the TRV is getting warm and shutting off long before the room itself gets to the right temperature. My solution is to go for Fibaro temp/PIR sensors as I'd like to build some presence / motion detection in and those give me that plus a more reliable remote temperature reading.

However you could go for the Horstmann temperature sensors that also have manual controls on them (and displays). Not a cheap choice but should be better both for ergonomics and function than a TRV with buttons on it.

Comment

• kaivalagi
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2014

Yeah I guess you could set the temps a little higher to give enough "buffer" for the room to warm up but that's far from ideal

So, what I am understanding from this is that it's probably not the best using thermostats in the valves to determine on/off control and therefore having controls on them would be pretty pointless too...Stella Z's with a seperate PIR/temp sensor in the longer term it is then I think...and just control all through the 'puter or a tablet

Do the stella valves come with a remote so they can be setup without any other equipment or is it expected to have a controller? Just wondering about the short term versus longer term setup

edit: Wow! Is uk automation the only place to buy these things from in the UK? They don't have enough stock to purchase online and their prices aren't all that nice! £650 to get the TRVs, Sensors and a Z-Stick that I need! Can I expect any discounts from them? Shame those Pegler valves don't cut it!!
        Last edited by kaivalagi; 24 November 2014, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• wysinawyg
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Oct 2013

No remote included so need some kind of controller. You might be able to link them all to a Horstmann wall thermostat as an interim measure, but I'm not 100%. Also do bear in mind that battery powered devices don't create a z-wave mesh, so you need everything in range of the controller unless you have other hard wired z-wave devices.

It is pricey!! I was contemplating doing a bulk order of Stella-Zs and wall thermostats at one point. Vesternet.com have most z-wave stuff available, good customer care and did offer a discount when I was looking at putting in a bulk order (over £1k, but I ended up going in stages). Doesn't hurt to e-mail people and ask!

Comment

• kaivalagi
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Nov 2014

Thanks, yeah, I just came across the Vesternet site, I will ask them about buying in bulk, they have limited stock too

I'm assuming once I look to install z-wave lighting I'll have "hard wired" z-wave devices in amongst everything? The light switches will I assume still get wired into the switching circuit I have and if I use LED bulbs that will give mood and dimmer functionality too?

Comment

• wysinawyg
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Oct 2013

Yes, the light modules tend to help the mesh, which is why I've paused my roll out of the heating til I get a bit more lighting in place. You do get mood functionality and dimming then (assuming dimmable bulbs) but do have a read of the other thread on switches. I'm not a great fan of the actual zwave light switches and shallow back boxes mean I've ended up going with Fibaro inserts and LWRF mood controls for now (with fingers crossed the server doesn't break).

Comment

• kaivalagi
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Nov 2014

Yeah, not a fan of the z-wave switches either, I like the look and price of the LightwaveRF ones myself which would obviously mean the need for something like RFXCOM then too...

I think my NAS has two USB ports

Comment

Working...
                X