• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

Multiple dark thresholds?

As the weather got particularly gloomy today I found myself needing to manually turn a light on ( I know imagine the hardship! ). I adjusted the dark threshold on my outside light level sensor to compensate for this in the future but realised that while the light level was low enough for me to need it in my work area, I could have probably tolerated a lower level elsewhere. Perhaps a compensation level could be added for different rooms? So if for example the light level is below 60 outside, trigger a dark state in the office but only if it is below 50 trigger a dark state for the living room.

Forgive me if this is already possible.
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

the way we do this sort of thing is with virtual modules - ie: in this case, add a light-level module & don't enable it, and connect it to the existing one as an alternative source, and define dark threshold as desired ...
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Karam
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2005

As Chris suggests you can use virtual light level objects taking in the signal from one sensor in order to still make use of the implicit automation provided by a light level object (i.e. as opposed to potentially messing up automation by trying to write direct logic using multiple uncommited thresholds on one object). But is the implication from what you are saying that you don't have individual room sensors, or perhaps not in all rooms?

For wider readership: The reason we don't use the idea of sunset/sunrise scheduling in our system is - read above ... If you are planning a system then light level sensing in rooms is a good idea and quite a few modules will provide these in combination with other devices.

Comment

• Andrew Millne
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Nov 2007

Thanks Chris/Karam. Virtual light level objects have worked out great.
        Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

Working...
        X