• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

Recommended Voice Modem

Is there an AH favourite voice modem to use with cortex that also supports CallerID? I've run out of space in my mini-itx case so I'm looking for something that is external and can also be powered via USB.

Thanks,

Andy
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

The US Robotics USR5637 is a USB modem which supports both voice and Caller ID but I think you may still have to deliberately install the voice firmware (available on their web site). There seemed to be some issues with the inf file when we first tried it which prevented CLID working although we did eventually resolve this. We did discuss with USR so maybe they have propagated the corrections by now. Also there were sometimes some issues with progressing voice calls but I'm not sure whether this was maybe specific to the setup we were using at the time. We had a difficult time finding USB modems which supported both voice and CLID where you could actually talk to someone who had any technical knowledge about their own product. I know it sounds strange ...

Comment

• Andrew Millne
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Karam View Post
      The US Robotics USR5637 is a USB modem which supports both voice and Caller ID but I think you may still have to deliberately install the voice firmware
      Thanks Karam this one also appears to be widely available.

We had a difficult time finding USB modems which supported both voice and CLID where you could actually talk to someone who had any technical knowledge about their own product. I know it sounds strange ...
      Strange but not particularly surprising.

Comment

• Andrew Millne
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Nov 2007

I was able to pick one of these up and it seems like a great little compact modem. I don't seem to be able to get Cortex to auto answer incoming calls however. I have the answer call setting set to automatic and ring control set to 3 for both options but the call is never answered. The telephone status updates to show an incoming call OK and the voice prompts I have set up are broadcast to panels just fine. I can also answer the call manually using the activate answer machine button. caller ID is working great as is cortex control once answered it is just this auto answer issue I am having trouble with. I tried the fax software bundled with the modem to see if that was affected too but this will auto answer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Comment

• Andrew Millne
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Nov 2007

Nevermind, worked it out I had my number in the telephone directory and set to answer only when unavailable.
          Last edited by Andrew Millne; 16 December 2013, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X