• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tizwaz
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Aug 2007

Hot Water Help

Afternoon,

I'm trying to work out how I get the hot water under Cortex control.

I was going to disconnect the cable from my hot water tank thermostat and wire that into a relay in a DRH. Then connect the tank thermostat (with a new bit of cable) into one of the digital inputs of the same DRH.

That way when the thermostat says I need heat Cortex via the Hot Water Control object can energise the relay which will fire the boiler.

However this is where I'm stuck. What should the digital input represent? The tank thermostat is effectively just a switch, if I choose 'Thermostat' it doesn't act like a switch, if I choose 'Other input' that then doesn't become available in the Hot Water Control Connectivity.

Help?

Thanks Chris.
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

You choose thermostat as the representation for this input. In the Hot water object you then connect the Thermostat input to this, but perhaps confusingly the event port from the digital input that you will find available is called 'Output as analogue value'. In this case it just means the signal is reported as 0% or 100%. In the HW object connections you should of course also remember to select the thermostat input to use for control.

Comment

• tizwaz
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Aug 2007

Hi Karam, thanks for this. Managed to get it working in simulation mode. If I press the simulate input change button on here, the relay closes as expected.

Capture.JPG

However if I connect a wire from 0V to input 1 (to simulate the tank thermostat switch closing) nothing happens?

Capture.JPG

Am I missing something here?

Chris.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Karam
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2005

Are you sure input 1 is the one which is connected and that the switch input container was (and still is) network enabled when you last started the network?

Comment

• tizwaz
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Aug 2007

Karam, you're dead right.. I had enabled the object, relays but not the switches duh..

It works now! Hurrah..

One final question (I hope) how do I get the LEDs to reflect the relay states? Is that a reflex jobby, as I can't see anything in the menues?

Thanks Chris.

Comment

• Viv
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by tizwaz View Post

One final question (I hope) how do I get the LEDs to reflect the relay states? Is that a reflex jobby, as I can't see anything in the menues?

Thanks Chris.
            Vist Button Behaviour menu. Click on LED should generate a yellow ring. Click LED Connections. Select Led ? Follow State. Click Add.

Then connect it to what you want to follow. E.g. if you want to see if its actually heating the hot water connect to Hot Water object. Demand to Heat Source.

Viv

Comment

• Andrew Millne
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Nov 2007

I think the issue with this is a DRH is being used not a DRB therefore there is no button behaviour menu. Selecting behaviour from the DRH module itself results in nothing happening and trying to use the connections on the relay "child" in reverse doesn't list the DRH as an available object.
              Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• tizwaz
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Aug 2007

Yep Andrew is right. This is a DRH... so nothing happens when you right click and select behaviour.. Can't find LED connections anywhere?

Comment

• Karam
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Mar 2005

Good point. Will have to look into that. I think its usually preferable to have Cortex in control of these things whilst its in charge of the network to avoid potential conflicts (Reflex vs. Cortex directives) and also to allow flexibility of usage. However for example if the LED is just going to be used as a simple direct indicator then using a Reflex may be ok. In this case since the LED is on the same module it would generally use a self Reflex command, on the other hand for DRB, DRH, SRH modules there is also a shortcut flag which can link the LED state to the corresponding relay state. To enable this flag and save to non volatiile memory, follow this procedure:
                  - Stop the network
                  - Ensure all DRH relays and LEDs are off. You can use the following direct command if you want to be sure:
                  FA90xxyy44003E020F <Transmit> (or hit return twice), where xxyy is the module's ID (see module properties menu)
                  - Set the LED state = RELAY state flag:
                  FA90xxyy440012001040 <Transmit>
                  - Save parameter set to non volatile memory:
                  FA90xxyy440008 <Transmit>
                  That's it. You can now run the network and you should find that the LED states follow the relay states (because Cortex does not disable this particular Reflex ... presently). When Cortex control of the LEDs is introduced this might change i.e. the Reflex might be disabled during network initialisation in order to avoid conflicts with Cortex control, but you would then just do the link up using Cortex constructs and leave the Reflex setting as is.

Comment

Working...
                  X