Idratek talking to a DMX Driver - Is there a way ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aphuk
    Automated Home Lurker
    • May 2012

Idratek talking to a DMX Driver - Is there a way ?

Am about to install huge amounts of RGB LED tape. The manufacturer has a Driver unit for controlling the tape. The Driver unit is controlled using DMX. Can I connect an IDratek controller to it?

Thanks to all who take the time to reply here.
  • pbj
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jul 2004

I use an Arduino with a DMX shield and a scruffy bit of code. The arduino is triggered by a bit of code on the PC which attaches to the Cortex API. I'm sure there's a simpler way (perhaps the Arduino listening to XaP) one day I'll get round to tidying it up...

Comment

• aphuk
      Automated Home Lurker
      • May 2012

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the tardy response. What is a DMX 'shield' ? and the trigger code on the PC is written in which language?

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Another option is to use a 0-10V dimming LED driver. These have three channels so RGB and each channel needs a separate 0-10V analogue signal. Gives about 512 colours. There is also another version which only requires 2 0-10V inputs. One input controls colour and the other brightness. This will only give you about 8 colours.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• pbj
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Jul 2004

Sorry, a "shield" is an interface board which plugs into the Arduino microprocessor board. It has the driver chip which allows the Arduino to "talk" DMX.

The code on the PC is in visual basic because I was feeling lazy! I really ought to move in into python and run it as a windows service as that's a lot more reliable (in my opinion)

Comment

• Kevin
            • Jan 2004

Sorry - just saw this thread. Lehane wrote a xAP DMX driver for the Milford Instruments controller that might work for you. Bear in mind that DMX is usually based on a single controller having exclusive use of the DMX bus.

Comment

Working...
            X