Thread: Idratek talking to a DMX Driver - Is there a way ?

Automated Home Lurker

Question Idratek talking to a DMX Driver - Is there a way ?

Am about to install huge amounts of RGB LED tape. The manufacturer has a Driver unit for controlling the tape. The Driver unit is controlled using DMX. Can I connect an IDratek controller to it?

Thanks to all who take the time to reply here.

Automated Home Sr Member

I use an Arduino with a DMX shield and a scruffy bit of code. The arduino is triggered by a bit of code on the PC which attaches to the Cortex API. I'm sure there's a simpler way (perhaps the Arduino listening to XaP) one day I'll get round to tidying it up...

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the tardy response. What is a DMX 'shield' ? and the trigger code on the PC is written in which language?

Another option is to use a 0-10V dimming LED driver. These have three channels so RGB and each channel needs a separate 0-10V analogue signal. Gives about 512 colours. There is also another version which only requires 2 0-10V inputs. One input controls colour and the other brightness. This will only give you about 8 colours.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Sr Member

Sorry, a "shield" is an interface board which plugs into the Arduino microprocessor board. It has the driver chip which allows the Arduino to "talk" DMX.

The code on the PC is in visual basic because I was feeling lazy! I really ought to move in into python and run it as a windows service as that's a lot more reliable (in my opinion)

Sorry - just saw this thread. Lehane wrote a xAP DMX driver for the Milford Instruments controller that might work for you. Bear in mind that DMX is usually based on a single controller having exclusive use of the DMX bus.
    http://www.mm-wave.demon.co.uk/honeycottage/dmx512.htm