• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nadeem
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2014

New to home Automation a few questions

Hi Guys

I want to build a security and Lighting system in my home which i possible i could control from 1 app as well as do this remotely i.e whilst away from home

So basically want to be able to

1) Arm, disarm and monitor Burglar alarm
    2) Turn lights on if i'm away longer then expected
    3) In some areas turn lights on with motion detection if it's dark outside or maybe based on specified time

I'm not sure if anyone has done this successfully. Being in UK think choices are more limited

I'd like the LightwaveRF stuff only issue is they not 2 way communication. But i like the look.

As i newcomer i find it a real shame things are not standardised so you can use different bits from different suppliers

Thanks
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

All of what you want to do can be done by the Loxone system
    Their case studies are worth reading.

Another system is Idratek

There are more but I consider these to be the best. And their customer support is very good, which is very important.

Once you have had a look at these systems, see which one ticks the most boxes. Also try and think about the future and what you may want the system to do.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Nadeem
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2014

I knew i forgot to mention something

I'd like to achieve as much as possible without doing any new cabling as i'm in New build home and no plans to tear down walls yet

But i'll have a good read of the links

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

The Loxone system can be wire free if you use the enocean expansion module and then the enocean power modules to control lighting etc.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• martyn.wendon
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2013

When it comes to security, I personally prefer a "stand-alone" alarm system like a Visonic Powermax, as typically a stand-alone alarm is designed specifically for that purpose and offers a wider range of security focused features.

For my own system, I use a Powermax+ and then integrate that with a MiCasaVerde Vera Z-Wave controller for the Home Automation side - automatic lighting, alerts, motion detection etc.

This way, if I'm away from home for some time and there's a power failure, or a glitch with the HA controller, I know that the stand-alone alarm is still going to be functioning and protecting the house. I try to make all of my HA work stand-alone as much as possible, with the additional smart stuff being an added benefit on top but not crucial to the basic functionality!
          Martyn Wendon
          Vesternet
          Check out my Blog!

Comment

• Nadeem
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jan 2014

Looking around thats the way i'm leaning. But you describing your setup is very helpful. Still researching but ideas of what others use and have is always helpful when new to an area

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X