Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
Results 71 to 78 of 78

Thread: Heat Genius

  1. #71
    Automated Home Lurker
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snaxmuppet View Post
    I have HG set up and running and I have a Vera Edge which I am about to set up this weekend. I should be able to tell you next week

    It is just two z-wave networks so I can't see a reason why they shouldn't. The z-wave frequency will be busy and that may cause a few delays as messages clash but I don't suppose it will stop them working or cause any major problems.

    I'll post again next week when I have more news
    Thanks, I'd be interested in your findings.

  2. #72
    Automated Home Lurker
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    3

    Default Old thread, new user!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snaxmuppet View Post
    There is a simple 2-period timer and that is it. The boiler is new (3 years). I have contacted HG and they say I can install HG but as I don't have a room stat so the HG controller must be connected direct to the boiler.

    What is the implication of this?
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but it's the most informative I've found so far!

    We are soon to be moving into a new house [so well insulated] with a timer and room stat in each of two zones. The zones don't correspond with the way we'd use the rooms so in the short term I was planning to disconnect the zone valves with both in the open position, turn the room stats to max so that heat is always being called for, and control the room temperatures with the TRVs

    This will keep the pump running, but the boiler will only fire when the return temperature falls below a certain point. So it works, but not ideal.

    In the long term [as soon as possible, in reality!] I want to go to a smart set-up.

    I've looked at evohome, which has a lot going for it - in particular its WiFi thermostat which also has full-function setup and control without having to use the app.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't have the basic functions of 'add extra hour /2, /3' that even the most basic electronic controller has; nor the ability to 'advance' to the next time period, as even the old electro-mechanical controllers had. We use these a lot in our current house, as we might stay up later than usual, or get up earlier, and need to make a temporary alteration.
    It does however have the advantage that individual eTRVs can call for heat without needing the expense of a separate thermostst [caveat being that 'stat needed if TRV behind curtains etc].

    It looks as though the Genius can do these [albeit from an app]. Is this correct? If so, I could get a cheap android tablet to keep somewhere handy as a local controller.

    I also need confirmation that if the website goes down, or my internet connection is lost, the a) the local kit will carry on as previously scheduled and b) ideally, they can be adjusted via the app over the local area network in the house.

    In terms of genius hardware, I'd initially set up the heating [hot water is fine on a timer] so that the mainly-used rooms are programmed via genius, with eTRVs, and the others just have their dumb TRVs turned down to frost setting. The zone valves both to be locked open.

    I would then have the eTRVs grouped into three virtual zones, which would be set up for our typical usage - ie one used mainly during the day, the second in the evening, and the third [for the kitchen] for most of the day [between getting up and going to bed!].

    This would, I think, need one wired controller to wire into the boiler circuit, a few plugs, one thermostat/sensor for each room in the controlled zones, and one eTRV for each of the radiators in those rooms, together with a genius hub to control them all. The wired controller's output would just connect to the existing wiring centre in place of the current timer's output [terminal 10 for stsndard S-plan set-up]..

    Does this sound like a sensible approach? If so, I could later expand the number of controlled rooms by adding further eTRVs and mini-sensors to them.

    Any suggestions/corrections would be most welcome!

    William

  3. #73
    Automated Home Jr Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wrs View Post
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but it's the most informative I've found so far!

    I've looked at evohome, which has a lot going for it - in particular its WiFi thermostat which also has full-function setup and control without having to use the app.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't have the basic functions of 'add extra hour /2, /3'
    I've scripted that up with IFTTT. We can say 'heat the kitchen for 1 hour' to Google Home, use IFTTT widget buttons on Android homescreens, or repurposed Amazon Dash buttons to boost each room. The first two are easy and the third requires a bit more geekery :-) The boost button can query the current temp and +1 degree to it.

  4. #74
    Automated Home Lurker
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mamoulian View Post
    I've scripted that up with IFTTT. We can say 'heat the kitchen for 1 hour' to Google Home, use IFTTT widget buttons on Android homescreens, or repurposed Amazon Dash buttons to boost each room. The first two are easy and the third requires a bit more geekery :-) The boost button can query the current temp and +1 degree to it.
    Thanks, mamoulian. That's interesting. Just to confirm, it's with evohome rather than genius products? Presumably this would only work over the internet, requiring the evohome site to be up and running?

    I've done a bit of programming, but have never looked at IFTTT. How easy would it be to write the script for buttons that add 1 or more extra hours, or advance to next phase of the schedule?

    This may solve the problem, as the wiring of he evohome kit looks quite straightforward.

    William

  5. #75
    Automated Home Jr Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wrs View Post
    Thanks, mamoulian. That's interesting. Just to confirm, it's with evohome rather than genius products? Presumably this would only work over the internet, requiring the evohome site to be up and running?

    I've done a bit of programming, but have never looked at IFTTT. How easy would it be to write the script for buttons that add 1 or more extra hours, or advance to next phase of the schedule?

    This may solve the problem, as the wiring of he evohome kit looks quite straightforward.

    William
    Yes with Evohome.

    Yes all schedule-related comms go via the internet. If the internet goes down you can only use the controller screen or manually turn the knob on the TRV. Unless you want to investigate the USB method: https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Evohom..._equivalent.29

    IFTTT is super easy for setting temps for duratiions, just click about and fill in a few values. I don't think 'advance to next phase of schedule' can be done though.

  6. #76
    Automated Home Lurker
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mamoulian View Post
    Yes with Evohome.

    Yes all schedule-related comms go via the internet. If the internet goes down you can only use the controller screen or manually turn the knob on the TRV. Unless you want to investigate the USB method: https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Evohom..._equivalent.29

    IFTTT is super easy for setting temps for adjurations, just click about and fill in a few values. I don't think 'advance to next phase of schedule' can be done though.
    Many thanks again - Setting zones for a new temperature for a given duration would suffice - and may in fact be even better than an 'advance' button, as more focused.
    The domoticz site looks interesting too - Linux based so might be able to run it off a dedicated Rasp Pi?!

    William

  7. #77
    Automated Home Jr Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Probably!
    Have a play with IFTTT's options to make sure it'll do what you want.

    If you're feeling adventurous in the future there's also this: https://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbul...-without-HGI80

  8. #78
    Automated Home Jr Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Here's the IFTTT options for changing zone temp:

    Screenshot_20190304-194741_IFTTT.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •