Thread: Complete home automation and security advice

Default Complete home automation and security advice

Hi Guys

I am renovating my house completely including rewiring and I thought it would be a good time to run the wires also for a home automation system and alarm. I am not loaded so I don't want anything expensive. I would really appreciate some advice as it is very confusing as there are so many different systems and protocols. I would prefer a system which can be accessed via one user interface but I am flexible.

I would like the following to be automated:

Security Alarm (something that will contact me when it goes off and with wired PIR sensors)
    Lights
    heating control (a Main control would be fine but if it is cheap to do each room individually that would be good)
    blinds/curtains

Some optional things I would also not mind
    Door bell
    Door lock
    Fire alarms

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Os

Take a look at these two systems
    Loxone
    Idratek

Both will do what you want, its just a matter of preference and what your budget is.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Jr Member

As well as the recommendations for Loxone and Idratek, you could also look at:

CBus
    Insteon (dual tech wired and wireless)
    Z-Wave
    Plugwise

Z-Wave is a good choice for wireless and has probably the largest range of devices across all the technologies covering lighting, heating, security and energy saving. I've slowly been moving over to it during the past few years - 14 years or so of various hybrid HA is a lot to work through, but generally I'm finding it's working out pretty well and is fairly easy to retro-fit.

But, renovating re-wiring gives you loads of options so you're not really limited to stuff that doesn't need masses of re-decorating afterwards

Check out Mark's wiring guide at http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/conte...ing-guide.html - the basic rule is that it's *much* cheaper to throw in loads and loads and loads (and loads) of cable at an early stage as opposed to 6 months later when everything is finished and you (or rather your significant other) suddenly states that "the TV doesn't quite work over there, let's move it over here"
    Martyn Wendon
    Vesternet
    Check out my Blog!