• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim the box
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2014

Room temperature sensor

I was thinking of adding a thermocouple to a lighting switch faceplate to save on wiring, the thermocouple would control the temperature back at the control cupboard.

Any reasons why it couldn't be done?
  • martyn.wendon
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2013

Any reasons why it couldn't be done?
    Probably not, but if you include a little bit more information then we might be able to advise further
    Martyn Wendon
    Vesternet
    Check out my Blog!

Comment

• jim the box
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by martyn.wendon View Post
      Probably not, but if you include a little bit more information then we might be able to advise further
      I am running CAT6 cables to my light switches (low voltage) and have a couple of cores spare. I thought that I could put a PT100 thermocouple on these and mount the thermocouple poking out of the bottom of the plastic light switch plate.

I am not sure if it is in the best place (height is OK but I'm not sure about near the door) for the thermocouple to be effective.

Comment

• martyn.wendon
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Dec 2013

I don't see a problem with it technically - not used the PT100 myself, but presume that it will be ok operating over that distance cable-wise.

As for the location, I know some people that have done similar, but it's not a location I'd choose myself - typically the door will be away from the main areas where people will be and may also be in a draught-prone area. In my own heating system (currently based on ELV / FS20 wire-less devices) I tend to site the thermostats where people will be spending most time e.g. in the living room this is near the sofa, dining room it's near the dining room table, bedrooms close to the bed etc.
        Martyn Wendon
        Vesternet
        Check out my Blog!

Comment

• jim the box
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jan 2014

Thanks martyn, Pt100 uses a compensating wire to negate the extra resistance for the distance.

Comment

Working...
          X