• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dfhage
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2010

Constant Evohome Binding Problems

Has anyone else experienced constant problems with their Evohome install. I an now spending my entire time re-binding actuators on e regular basis.
    The supplier has replaced several radiator valves, but I am still having constant random problems with the actuators "losing" their binding.
    One of these is literally 3 feet from the control unit, but the binding never seems to "last" more than a few days. Could it be interference ? Anybody have similar experience with Evohome. It's a three floor 1930's terraced house, not large, RF signals all strong. Could it be Z-Wave interference ? Any thoughts gratefully received

Regards

Dave Hage
  • dfhage
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2010

Nobody had any problems ? Just me ?

Regards

Dave Hage

Comment

• Otto-Mate
      Founder
      • Jan 2004

Our evoHome kit just arrived Dave so can't comment yet. We've had HomeTronic for quite a few years now and never had to rebind once though.

M.
      Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
      www.twitter.com/ottomate
      www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• dfhage
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Otto-Mate View Post
        Our evoHome kit just arrived Dave so can't comment yet. We've had HomeTronic for quite a few years now and never had to rebind once though.

M.
        I'm wondering if it's interference . I have a Z-Wave network and some Phillips Hua lighting as well

Regards

Dave

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
          • Feb 2009

Does the problem only affect one location? If it does can you swap the HR80s around to see if the problem moves with the device or stays at the location. That will confirm if it is a local signal issue or a faulty device. If it is a signal issue and you keep the Evo on the desktop charging cradle then try moving Evo to a different location as sometimes even a small move can make a difference to the signal propagation through the house.

Evo works on 868MHz so should not in any way be affected by 2.4GHz kit, and 868MHz kit is not meant to transmit constantly (it should use a 1% duty cycle limit to reduce/remove the risk of interference).

As Mark (Otto-Mate) suggests, you should not need to rebind devices at all if the system is working properly.
          Sensible Heat
          SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• dfhage
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SensibleHeatUK View Post
            Does the problem only affect one location? If it does can you swap the HR80s around to see if the problem moves with the device or stays at the location. That will confirm if it is a local signal issue or a faulty device. If it is a signal issue and you keep the Evo on the desktop charging cradle then try moving Evo to a different location as sometimes even a small move can make a difference to the signal propagation through the house.

Evo works on 868MHz so should not in any way be affected by 2.4GHz kit, and 868MHz kit is not meant to transmit constantly (it should use a 1% duty cycle limit to reduce/remove the risk of interference).

As Mark (Otto-Mate) suggests, you should not need to rebind devices at all if the system is working properly.
            Thanks for the advice, on the whole it affect two HR80s, which my installer has changed twice. One of them is with a few feet of the main controller ! They lose contact with the main unit, but I see no error messages (but I lose the "antennae" icon on the HR80) Sometimes removing the batteries is enough to get it to re-connect, sometimes not. I was under the impression that Z-Wave also worked on 868 Mhz in Europe maybe I'm wrong ?

Regards

Dave Hage

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
              • Feb 2009

I don't use Z-Wave or Zigbee so I may be mistaking their frequencies :-) 868MHz kit is meant to play nicely, but occasionally I have found a faulty deviice that transmits constantly therefore causing permanent interference. Unfortuantely it can take quite a bit of trial and error in tracking down such a device as there are no simple tools available to help identify this kinf od problem. If you can try isolating the other systems you think might be interfering at least you can start to rule them in or out depending on your findings.

Removing the batteries from the HR80 forces a re-sync, so that often will work as a temporary fix. The aerial symbol will disappear when the unit has missed several messages from the Evo controller, and signifies that the controller is in a fail-safe mode and will not attempt to re-sync for at least 24 hours.

Is the Evo controller fixed in place or can it be moved (even if it's only a few feet away)? It may not make any difference but at least it would be an easy test.
              Sensible Heat
              SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• dfhage
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SensibleHeatUK View Post
                I don't use Z-Wave or Zigbee so I may be mistaking their frequencies :-) 868MHz kit is meant to play nicely, but occasionally I have found a faulty deviice that transmits constantly therefore causing permanent interference. Unfortuantely it can take quite a bit of trial and error in tracking down such a device as there are no simple tools available to help identify this kinf od problem. If you can try isolating the other systems you think might be interfering at least you can start to rule them in or out depending on your findings.

Removing the batteries from the HR80 forces a re-sync, so that often will work as a temporary fix. The aerial symbol will disappear when the unit has missed several messages from the Evo controller, and signifies that the controller is in a fail-safe mode and will not attempt to re-sync for at least 24 hours.

Is the Evo controller fixed in place or can it be moved (even if it's only a few feet away)? It may not make any difference but at least it would be an easy test.
                I'm going to double check the Z-Wave frequency, but if it is 868 Mhz as well, I can power it down for 24 hours and see if that makes any difference. Thanks again for the advice, it's still an excellent system , when it works !

Regards

Dave

Comment

• martyn.wendon
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Dec 2013

Originally posted by dfhage View Post
                  I'm going to double check the Z-Wave frequency, but if it is 868 Mhz as well, I can power it down for 24 hours and see if that makes any difference. Thanks again for the advice, it's still an excellent system , when it works !

Regards

Dave
                  Did you manage to resolve your issue? I've been considering options for heating control and the Evo stuff is on my short-list, but I have a *lot* of 868MHz kit (Z-Wave and Visonic) so interference problems would be a killer for me!

Thanks,
                  Martyn Wendon
                  Vesternet
                  Check out my Blog!

Comment

• dfhage
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Jan 2010

Hi Martyn,

Haven't had a chance to power down all the Z-Wave stuff for long enough to be sure it's the problem. It's hard to pin down, sometimes the Evo works for day without incident.
                    My money is on a misbehaving Z-Wave module causing interference, mind you there are rumours of Honeywell having some quality control issues with their radiator valves.
                    On the plus side, since I've had new condensing boiler and the Evo system, my gas bill is down 25% - 30% over last year. I would definitely go for the new Evo system with remote (Internet) control and better control over hot water (so I'm told). I'll report back when I have any more new. Regards. Dave

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                      Founder
                      • Jan 2004

dfhage - did you get a chance to try with your Z-Wave off?

M.
                      Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
                      www.twitter.com/ottomate
                      www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• dfhage
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Jan 2010

Hi There,

I've just updated to the new Evohome so I'll see if that makes the problems any better, I'll report back next week

Regards

Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X