• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jase17uk
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2014

New heating and MHRV control system - advice & recommendations needed

Hello guys/gals,

Its my first time posting in here, came across this forum when searching for the room humidity and temp sensors.

I am renovating a cottage that means I can install a wired system easily. It is preferable than wireless because of the thickness of the walls which are approx. 600mm thick and the layout of the cottage is not standard

The system I would like are: humidity and temp room sensors in each rooms (for the cellar, humidity, temp and CO2 sensor) and an outdoor sensor too that reports the temp & humidity back to a central programmable controller (with wireless facility for the tablet/smart phone). It will control the whole house MHRV and heating too.

MHRV- when a room(s) exceeds the set humidity level then MHRV switches on as soon the level drops back to set value then it shuts down, as for the cellar: both CO2 and humidity. The fan speed in MHRV is set by the controller depending on the situation e.g. if its night time the fan speed should be as low as possible. Also I am thinking of installing sensors for the windows and doors to sense if they are open then the MHRV is shut off regardless if a sensor reports a ventilation in a room is needed until all of the windows/doors are closed.

The CH system will be zoned, each rooms will have its own circuit. Ground floor: 5 zones of UFH and as for upstairs & cellar: 6 zones. UFH will be fed from a manifold with an actuator valve for each UFH zones and the rads will be fed from a separate manifold with an actuator valve for each zones.

I have looked at the room sensors on the net, they can cost up to £200 per sensor which is just plain crazy! I need to know which sensor to go for so I can wire up the rooms with correct amount/type of wires. Any recommendations where I can buy them?

I hope you can help! Thanks for your time reading
  • SensibleHeatUK
    • Feb 2009

Decent quality CO2 and RH sensors are expensive and need replacing after several years as the sensing elements deteriorate. Companies like Titan Controls and Sontay are most likely your best value options here as they supply these type of sensors to many of the commercial controls installers around the UK.

You also need controls that can use these sensors, which means looking at commercial style controls (again expensive or only available to approved resellers) or using programable I/O modules and writing your own code. I've not seen any residential control platforms that offer the flexibility you need I'm afraid.
    Sensible Heat
    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• Jase17uk
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2014

Thanks for replying... Titan Controls seems to be more sensible option.

Perhaps siting the rH sensors in the rooms where the high levels of moisture is expected such as kitchen, bathroom and en suites and as for the rest of the rooms just temperature sensors to be cost efficient?

Whats the difference between the current or voltage sensors? Which is most common and easily interfaced?

Regards

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
        • Feb 2009

For control, it depends on the control system. If you are keeping the control of heat recovery separate to heating control you may be able to avoid using sensors and an additional control system - many heat recovery systems have humidity stats that can be wired directly to the unit to activate boost mode. If yours is the same then you need to check thee wiring requirements and fit the recommended accessories. You can add timer interlocks (to prevent operation at night for example) by wiring the boost signals in series with a time clock.
        Sensible Heat
        SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X