• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ballardinb
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2014

Honeywell HR80 not binding to Hometronic HCM 200D

Hoping someone will be able to help. I have a Honeywell Hometronic system installed in my house with a Hometronic Manager HCM 200D controlling everything, 16 rooms with 23 Honeywell HR80s on the radiators, linked back to the boiler with a HS 30 switch for the hot-water and a HC60NG controller for the central heating. I don't use lifestyles but do use the Time programs which are programmed at a room level and each individual radiator being able to activate the boiler. The system works without problem.

Recently I've found I can't get one radiator's HR80 to bind [batteries went dead on this radiator controller]. I've got a couple of spare HR80's and have tried each one to rule out a faulty HR80, and have tried new batteries. Have also tried resetting the HR80 prior to commencing the bind as well. I follow the procedure of pressing HR80 bind button for 1 second / getting the bind symbol flashing / activate binding at command centre for the room (dining room - has only 1 radiator) and then wait. After around 4 minutes, the bind symbol disappears from the HR80 and hasn't binded. Strange thing is, I've tried rebinding HR80's with other rooms in the house and no problem at all. Its just this room for some reason. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm wondering if there is a limit to the number of HR80's that can be binded to the HCM 200D but couldn't find anything in Honeywell literature or on the web in relation to this.
  • SensibleHeatUK
    • Feb 2009

There are no practical limits to how many HR80s can be bound to a single zone, so that is not an issue here.

Does the "actuator removed from valve" symbol flash continuously even when it is fitted back to the radiator? If the little microswitch under the unit breaks or fails then this will cause issues as comms will not work properly and the batteries will run out very quickly. If this is the case then the HR80 will need to be replaced. In any case it does sound like a hardware failure of some kind. HR80s are in short supply - they've been discontinued and there is no more Honeywell stock. The new HR92 replacement is not available yet either, our latest update has just put back our first deliveries to mid April. Suppliers who don't sell much kit may still have HR80s in their stock, we've not had any for several weeks though.
    Sensible Heat
    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• ballardinb
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2014

Thanks - and just to clarify, as well as no limits to how many HR80s can be bound to a single zone, is there no limit to how many devices (HR80 and other accessories) in total can be linked to a HCM 200D?

I don't think it is a HR80 hardware problem as the 'actuator removed from valve' symbol stops flashing when fitted back to the radiator and I've got 3 spare HR80's myself (bought a couple when I needed to replace one that stopped working) and I'm having the same problem with all 3 of them. It seems to be an issue linked to this particular room. I've tried linking the HR80 to another room, and it works fine. I've reset several times.

Is there a way to 'de-installing' HR80's that were previously binded to a room, from the HCM 200D controller itself? The approach I've used was Menu / Settings / De-installation and then removing the * from the room and then resetting the HR80 itself. Then Menu / Settings / Installation and adding the * to this room, and then attempting to bind the HR80 to it.

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
        • Feb 2009

Yes, thre are limits to what can be registered although it depends under what section eg Modules, a Sensors etc. In this case you are not hitting any limits, it's more likely you are in a radio black spot at that particular radiator. If that is the case then using the radio test function will prove this.
        Sensible Heat
        SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• JohnnyP
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Nov 2008

Try binding the HR80 whilst holding it within a couple of metres of the HCM200D. If that works, then your radiator location is difficult. In that case I would suggest sticking some aluminium kitchen foil on the wall adjacent to the HR80 - 6" square should be enough.

Comment

• ballardinb
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Feb 2014

After multiple attempts to bind with no luck, the HR80 has now binded and working fine. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
            X