• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonS
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2007

Logic Objects

I've reassigned a QRH relay recently which I'd previously set-up as a boiler object. As the heating controls I use don't require a boiler relay to fire the boiler, I wanted to create a logical boiler object to make use of the minimum load feature. The only way I could find to do this is to assign a non existant BRS relay and connect that as a boiler. Why are some objects available as "cortex logic objects" from the design menu and others available only from the connections menu of a relay - which may or may not be real??
    Thanks
    JonS
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

I suppose historically a boiler has not been seen as an abstracted object in its own right but rather something that is expected to be actioned by a physical relay hence the boiler object can be considered to be a potted and integrated behaviour associated with a relay. In much the same way as a switched light is not simply an icon but the definition of an integrated behaviour which happens to be actuated by a relay. The design level logic objects tend to have a higher level of abstraction and/or might be co-ordinating multiple pieces of hardware. So you don't find a light object there but you do find a scene management object. Its probably not always clear cut and I guess until you see the sustained emergence of some new requirement work arounds tend to be used. Another useful object to use when you need a virtual relay is the 'legacy relay node'. Apologies if I've misunderstood the question.
    Last edited by Karam; 28 February 2014, 08:34 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

for us, being able to leave objects virtual, has been a big big plus-point for Cortex ...

vastly increases its capabilities ...

about a third of our modules are virtual, and we have several boilers, despite not having a physical one in the house, plus a few virtual rooms, which semi-materialise when needed ...
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• JonS
        Automated Home Guru
        • Dec 2007

Thanks Karam, the approach for including in the design objects menu makes sense but leaves a lot of grey, e.g with boiler object which does act to manage the behaviour of other objects but doesn't need to actually control a boiler. As Chris mentioned virtual objects can be very useful. Maybe a compromise would be to have a sub menu within design objects as done for Video Capture. e.g. fundamental/basic objects. This may lead to other complications, but at least we now know that if an object is needed virtually the 'legacy relay node' can be used. Is this how non-native objects are added e.g. for wireless control?
        Thanks
        JonS

Comment

• Karam
          Automated Home Legend
          • Mar 2005

Non native objects such as X10, Rako and HomeEasy are classified under 'Other automation network objects'. So they are specific objects but which attempt as much as possible to look like an IDRATEK equivalent. For example a radio controlled HomeEasy light has a specific object to represent it because there are some differences between it and the IDRATEK equivalent, for example the ID setting format in its properties menu is different. Also Cortex needs to know that it is a non native light so that it knows how to communicate with it. But once the object is introduced it then has pretty much the same connections and behaviours as the IDRATEK equivalent in as much as the physical module allows.

Comment

Working...
          X