• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcockerell
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jan 2009

Pulse counting inputs

I am planning to connect both gas and electricity meters to Cortex and have been looking at which modules have spare inputs that I can use.

I have an external LTS-001 and a PLT-001 on the first floor that are both conveniently located, but reading the datasheets it seems that neither of these supports pulse counting on the digital inputs - is this correct?

If I can't use the LTS or PLT then I will need to free up some inputs on a QRI, which will unfortunately require much longer cable runs from the meters and also running new cables to some wall switches.

Any thoughts?
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

we've found cable lengths for such things can be longer than we'd feared (*) ...

another option might be to swap-out your current modules for ones that do have pulse-counting capability ...

we've tended to use PLHs, but in a few places we tried to economise & used lesser modules - and in every case we've regretted it (and may yet be swapping them out) ...

(*) we used screened FTP Cat-5e for the network ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 9 March 2014, 12:28 PM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• mcockerell
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jan 2009

I have considered replacing the PLT with a PLH to give me the pulse counting.
      But I am slightly confused - the catalogue page for the PLH says it supports pulse counting, but the datasheet doesn't mention it.
      That's why I was seeking confirmation on the capabilities of the PLT in the first place.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

yep, would be good if the Module Selector matrix had an extra column ...

Comment

• Karam
          Automated Home Legend
          • Mar 2005

Apologies for the confusion. It has probably stemmed from early units not having this capability. Will have to do a datasheet update. In fact all modules with digital inputs, except for the SLD, QLD and DFP, now have the pulse counting capability. For the LTS this was introduced in firmware version 03 so if you are at or above that then should be ok otherwise contact us for a revision.

Comment

• mcockerell
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Jan 2009

Thank you for the clarification Karam - the LTS has firmware version 05 so this should do what I need.

Comment

• mcockerell
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Jan 2009

Actually I may use the PLT instead - this has firmware version 03, so hopefully will also be suitable.

Comment

• Karam
                Automated Home Legend
                • Mar 2005

Pulse counting was included in that FWV, but a newer one (05) exists for the PLT which fixes some bugs elsewhere that you will probably not have noticed. Please contact us directly and I'll send this to you.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Dec 2007

wondered if others get occasional spikes in pulse-counted graphs … ?

we get them a few times a week on some of ours … and it seems to be an artifact, something to do with the counting/timing, rather than a real phenomenon …
                  Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 17 March 2014, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X