Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: Decoded - EvoHome API access to control remotely.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Klusm12 View Post
    Hi all,
    I recently started to log the temperature of my evohome system using a python script which is based on the one mentioned before on this forum. I have it set to retreive data from the honeywell site every minute. Unfortunatly after a few readings, the script ceases to operate as it is kicked of the server. Is this something that other encounter as well? Is there a solution??
    Regards, Rutger
    Could you share the script you have? Could it be authentication? Perhaps closing the connection and then re-authenticating each time maybe? Just blind suggestions, so apologies if this is not relevant!

I want to read the evohome data on a homeseer system which can't run python anyway, so i need a C# or VB script...

Good luck and keep trying and sharing - between the folks on here i am sure we will find a solution. If only Honeywell would publish an API... :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Klusm12 View Post
    Hi all,
    I recently started to log the temperature of my evohome system using a python script which is based on the one mentioned before on this forum. I have it set to retreive data from the honeywell site every minute. Unfortunatly after a few readings, the script ceases to operate as it is kicked of the server. Is this something that other encounter as well? Is there a solution??
    Regards, Rutger
    You are making too many calls on the server. The particular stream key you are using is meant for fewer calls. It a security measure designed to protect your system. Poll it every 10 mins. Heat / temp change doesnt need 1 min poll.
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Automated Home Lurker

I want to monitor the CV together with the setpoint change and the actual temp in the rooms, so polling every 10 minutes will be too slow. Is 5 minutes allowed? And would it be better (or not) to request the userid and sessionid with every poll? Now it just asks for it at the start of the script, which ideally would be running for days.

Automated Home Lurker

How often do the TRVs report their temperature back to the base unit? Polling any more often than that won't be of much value.

Quote Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
    You are making too many calls on the server. The particular stream key you are using is meant for fewer calls. It a security measure designed to protect your system. Poll it every 10 mins. Heat / temp change doesnt need 1 min poll.
    Well, yes, but it's also a security measure to protect Honeywell from high load (what if everyone polled every 60 seconds? The additional server requirements might be very large)

And therein lies the rub. I wish the evohome had a local API port. The lack of one means you have to obey whatever restrictions - however well intentioned - are in force on the public access site. Also if that site ever goes away (say, for example, some beancounter decides it's no longer worth the expenditure to keep running) you're snookered. Some HA users genuinely are going to want to experiment and turn things up to the max in ways that may be caught as 'abuse' by the public proxy.

The fact that evohome can work without any internet connection meant I bought it over other solutions (where I didn't trust the vendor would be around in 10 years time). I've got a number of friends who want to buy evohome, but access without using a 3rd party site (local control) is a red line issue for them.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

If you want local data and control, without going via Honeywell's Alarmnet servers, you need to invest in an HGI80, which is a USB interface. I don't think they are sold or supported here in the UK, but you can easily get one from various European vendors.

You can then poll as quickly as you want to!

P.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by magga View Post
    Hi Peiter,

I have actually implemented graphs in my web version already, I just didn't post the screenshots of this, because I forgot

Graphs are useful as it gives you a good idea as to how long rooms take to heat up, and also any potential TRV faults etc.
    Magga, are you still around? It's nearly been a year since you posted on here, yet I'd love to use the excellent web interface that you posted screenshots to...

I think we all would!

If the problem is that the scripts are a bit 'dirty' and too tied to your setup, I'm happy to help you knock them into shape.

P.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by watchforstock View Post
    Glad you got it working. To be honest, at least for my use case I'm just authenticating anew each time. My main use of the api is to record the room temperatures every 5 minutes and store that to a database for viewing (http://www.andrew-stock.com/weather/show/). It looks from the response that the token is valid for an hour, but I haven't done anything with that, or seen a use of a the "refresh" token either
    Love the work you've put into this, and it's great to see you're still updating and working on your github page: https://github.com/watchforstock/evohome-client

Just in case it helps anyone else using a Raspberry Pi, I had to install and run the following modules in order to run the python scripts without errors:

sudo apt-get install python-pip
    git clone https://github.com/watchforstock/evohome-client.git
    sudo pip install ./evohome-client
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libssl-dev libffi-dev python-dev
    sudo pip install requests[security]

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I think we all would!

If the problem is that the scripts are a bit 'dirty' and too tied to your setup, I'm happy to help you knock them into shape.

P.
    I would help out too!

By the way, be wary about displaying things like room temperatures, electricity consumption etc. on publicly accessible websites. It makes it very easy for rogues and scoundrels to see when you're away for a few days....

P.