• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonS
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2007

Replacing dead module

Hi
    One of my DRB 001's seems to have expired - no lights when reset button pressed or freshly plugged into Idranet, even on my commissioning loop.

I have a spare DRB 001, so is there an easy way to recommission the replacement with the old module's address and so save the effort of having to delete and redefine all the functions? Ok so its only 2 relays, 2 buttons and a DI, but if a more complex module failed (DFP) is there a method to get slot in a replacement with minimum effort?

Thanks
    JonS
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

when this has happened to ours, it's always been the fuse - so worth checking !

if not that, substituting the DRB would be easy - IIRC, just add the new one as new, then edit the IDs stored on the modules - going (IIRC) via Properties & Tools / Node Analysis (or some such) being careful to keep them unique (so do the old one first, perhaps reverting it to FFFF) ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 27 April 2014, 12:17 PM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• JonS
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2007

Hi Chris
      Is there a fuse on the Idranet power bus within the module? I've confirmed the spur this DRB is on has 12V and plugged it into a known working socket.
      It wasn't that the relay failed to operate but the module went off air (all objects flashing in Cortex until module properties set to disabled) and reset or replugging idranet did not result in the green idranet status/ activity LED to flash. I cannot see a fuse on the visible side of the module but haven't dismounted it from the patress cover to see if there is one there.
      On the replacement method I can change the network address in the properties dialogue or... stop cortex, plug in, in commissioning dialogue (end where it opens properties) set network address to same as old module, restart network.
      I've lashed up a traditional switch in place so no urgent need to fix, and I'd rather get it right first time than inconvenience the family further.
      Thanks
      JonS

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

hmm, no - had taken the lights in your original post to be the switched load !
        Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 28 April 2014, 07:04 AM.
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Karam
          Automated Home Legend
          • Mar 2005

If the module status indicator doesn't flash when you plug it in live, then either there is a problem with power reaching it (e.g. power bus wiring connections in the plug) or a fault on the module. If you have a spare module then plugging this in briefly should help determine whether its a power bus issue or module fault i.e if the status LED flashes then its probably not a power delivery problem (remains a slim possibility of intermittent connection at plug). Alternatively you can use a multimeter to measure voltage across the 0V and +12V terminal screw heads on the plug.

To replace the module without having to reprogram existing Cortex level functions all you have to do ( ) is ensure that the same Cortex object is retained for that module. The way to do this is:
          - With the network stopped unplug the old module.
          - Visit its parent object's properties menu in Cortex and change the unique ID value to 0000. This will 'free' up that object for assignment to new hardware. But it would also be a good idea to note down the original ID for later use (see below).
          - Now plug in the replacement module and assuming it is in factory state or with an ID that doesn't presently exist in the database then Cortex will start the commissioning process and at one point will ask you if you wish to assign to a matching type 'free' object in the database. You should take this option and also the next option of giving it a new available ID value. By default Cortex will generate new IDs as 4+ the last one created in that database. This means that the replacement module and its Object will both be given a new ID value different to the old one. From a high level Cortex function point of view this does not matter since Cortex uses an internal object ID to address the module and not the hardware ID directly. When the new hardware ID is assigned, the association between the internal ID and hardware ID is automatically updated, so as far as Cortex is concerned the previous object functionality remains as is.
          - Reflex: If the module is involved in any Reflex functions as a target for other modules then the above will leave you with a problem in that the Reflex commands to this module from other modules do use the hardware ID directly. You can use the Cortex Reflex utility to regenerate the Reflex code and reprogram the network and this will then automatically resolve the addressing (since Cortex knows the new ID and will change all the references accordingly). Doing so will also include re-programming any self Reflexes into the new module. On the other hand if you have hand coded some Reflexes such that they are not in the Cortex database then the safest bet is to change the module hardware ID back to what it was previously. To do this visit the node profile utility, Click on Read Node and you can then just stop it after the OS Parameters have been read. Expand the Max NIDs branch under the OS heading and right click on a NID value (there will only be one for a DRB module) and then choose the option to Change All IDs and Save Profile. Then when prompted enter the old value of the hardware ID which you had noted down above. This will then reproma the module with the old ID value. You then have to visit the module parent objects Properties menu and manually change the ID value to match. Now your module will look exactly the same as the old one to targetting Reflexes but will still be empty of any Reflexes itself. To deal with this, the final step is then to right click on the module parent object and select Reflex... from the ensuing menu. Then click on Program this node. Any Reflexes which had been created using the Cortex Reflex utility for the previous module will then be programmed into the new module.

Probably we should have another commissioning option specifically for replacement which perhaps allows for retention of an existing object ID and automatic reprogramming of internal Reflexes .... though it would have to be well safeguarded to prevent 'accidents'.
          Last edited by Karam; 28 April 2014, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X