Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New EvoHome and HR92s with existing plumbed two zone CH

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by SensibleHeatUK View Post
    This is not a UK specific control system, but a Europe-wide platform, and we are the only country to "fudge" energy efficiency/building regs by adopting the S-Plan Plus approach. Honeywell argue that if you are controlling every room as a zone then the fact that you have two heating zone valves is not an issue as they can either be operated together or even removed as the zone control is now carried out at room level (and it does not matter what form of heating is used either).

It is only when you do not control every room or heat emitter that it becomes a problem, so if you use Evo you then need to decide what you want to do to make your system fit the restrictions imposed by the decisions Honeywell have made. I doubt Honeywell will spend any development time or money to change just for the UK when this can be dealt with by using more of their controls (every room fully controlled), by using two Evo controllers, or by simplifying the control approach to keep control at zone-valve level (I.e. the current building regs standard).
    Very interesting. Definitely gives me some ideas.

Automated Home Lurker

This is not a UK specific control system, but a Europe-wide platform, and we are the only country to "fudge" energy efficiency/building regs by adopting the S-Plan Plus approach. Honeywell argue that if you are controlling every room as a zone then the fact that you have two heating zone valves is not an issue as they can either be operated together or even removed as the zone control is now carried out at room level (and it does not matter what form of heating is used either).

It is only when you do not control every room or heat emitter that it becomes a problem, so if you use Evo you then need to decide what you want to do to make your system fit the restrictions imposed by the decisions Honeywell have made. I doubt Honeywell will spend any development time or money to change just for the UK when this can be dealt with by using more of their controls (every room fully controlled), by using two Evo controllers, or by simplifying the control approach to keep control at zone-valve level (I.e. the current building regs standard).
    What he said! Hope you got your answers...
    Gas Safe & OFTEC registered - Honeywell Recognised evohome Installer - Always lurking on Twitter!

Automated Home Lurker

Just a quick note to say that a factory reset fixed my issue.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by imellor View Post
    Welcome to the club, I have also just installed an Evohome colour.
    I have a "standard" "y" plan, ie hot water and one central heating zone.

The issue I am having is that when the hot water relay demands heat, the heating relay also demands heat. The other way round ie heating demanding heat, everything works OK.

I phoned the helpdesk and they have advised that, as I have the BDR9 relays relays next to each, other I should move them apart. However, I don't believe they are interfering with each other because:

1 The heating relay does not trigger the hot water relay
    2 Sometimes you can see the heating relay come on about half a second before the hot water relay, implying that the request is coming from the control and not any interference from the hot water relay.

Tonight I am going to put one of the BDR9 on an long piece of cable and rule out interference, but I would be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem?

Ian

Automated Home Guru

Hi there,

Just to let you know that I have fitted EvoHome to my house and I have the exact same 2 zone system as you have. I previously had a BDR91 connected to the upstairs zone and a BDR91 connected to the downstairs zone and then wireless CM927's, one upstairs and one downstairs. I then went out and purchased a EvoHome system thinking it must be a straightforward like for like swap virtually. Indeed....

What I have discovered is that if you bind a BDR91 as the Boiler Relay, then no matter what calls for heat (upstairs or downstairs) then that BDR91 calls for heat. So, if your downstairs calls for heat and the BDR91 is bound to upstairs, then it'll turn *both* downstairs and upstairs on for you. Basically, if anything calls for heat, then what's bound as the Boiler Relay is called for that heat demand.

What I have done is to bind the Upstairs and Downstairs zones as Zone Valves to their respective zones and *no* Boiler Relay bound. This now means that I can control upstairs and downstairs via the EvoHome similar to how I controller it previously, allbet via a much nicer controller and internet enabled.

To extend the system to individual rooms, I have added HR80's (had some old ones) to individual rooms and set them as radiator controllers. Now, in setting the schedules I know that these cannot call for demand independantly of the Upstairs or Downstairs zones. So, I use them to either, turn a room to a lower temperature than the rest of the house (so shutting the radiator in those zones), or set them to a specific temperature at a time that the upstairs or downstairs zone that they are plumbed into is calling for demand itself.

Perhaps not ideal, but works without converting to a single zone and then putting HR92's on every radiator in the house.

Roy.

Automated Home Lurker

Honeywell argue that if you are controlling every room as a zone then the fact that you have two heating zone valves is not an issue as they can either be operated together or even removed as the zone control is now carried out at room level (and it does not matter what form of heating is used either).
    Hi
    We are facing the same issue, to install an evohome replacing a two zone valve system. As you suggest above, can we connect both valves to the same wireless relay so they both operate at the same time on demand, thus negating the need to remove them?

thanks

TT