• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aristoteles
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2013

Set timer on lights

I would like to set a timer on lights so that it stays on for say 15 minutes and I would like to know what is the easiest way to achieve this? I have 9 rooms with exactly the same setup and each room has 2 lights that are not controled by motion sensors. One of the lights is a light above the mirror in a bathroom and the other light is a roof light in the bedroom. I was thinking of "faking" a room presence with the button that switches on the light, but I would like to know if anyone has a better idea.
    I would prefer if it is easy to change the timer settings (i.e. if i change the timer for the bathroom mirror it should affect all nine bathrooms).

/Glenn
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

There are a variety of ways to make a light come on for a timed period but to some extent it also depends on what other automation is configured to be acting on that same light. If the light is not required to depend on other automation inputs such as presence, light level, operating period and so on then you could set it to use the 'Light timer only' behaviour and then trigger the timer using the required button (or any other trigger source) - this you would do by connecting the button to the Light's 'Timer start' connection. The timer period is in that case set in the behaviour menu for that light. To change this for other lights you'd have to edit the timer setting in each Light's menu. To some extent accessing such menus for multiple lights (or other objects) can be eased a little for large installations by using the List view and then filtering on Lights and then click on Property Grid. As far as I'm aware there isn't a way to change the timer setting programatically i.e so that you use some mechanism to set the value across a group of them by pressing one button or editing just one setting for example.

Comment

• Aristoteles
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2013

Thanks Karam for the info. It works perfect on switching lights. On the dimming lights I´ve set it up by connecting the button to both "on and hold/off and hold" and "occupied detector".

Comment

Working...
      X