• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexc
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Apr 2013

Switch operation (toggle)

I hope someone can help me! My lights come on when it's dark, presence and timer. All works fine.

I have set a switch to toggle the light so that if the person in the room doesn't want the light on, they can turn it off. Similarly they can turn it on if it's not automatically on.

Problem is when it should be on, and is turned off manually, it won't come on again once the presence/timer is removed, and a new presence is detected.

I've looked through the help, but I'm not clear. I've tried a few settings, but can't get it right.

Thanks.
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

in the Behaviour window for Lights, there's an area on the right below the Timer area that deals with the mode the Light is in - maybe be your toggling is putting it into Keep Off, or some such ? We've never been able to suss how to determine which modes toggling puts the light into - it seems random ! - but it is possible to manage it directly ... IIRC, the Help entry relevant to this is accessible from one of the other Light windows (Connections, perhaps, or ... ) ...

HTH

Chris
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Viv
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Dec 2004

To address the point made by Chris. The Toggle action being 'Heuristic' is designed to achieve what is desired e.g. Change the Light state, by what ever means possible. As such imagine the Light is on because someone went into the room and other conditions were satisfied. You then leave the room so presence is removed. The light is now still on for a while because of the Timer. If a request comes in to toggle the Light e.g. get it off then it can be achieved simply by clearing the timer. In this case the Override condition is not changed.
      However if the Light is on and you are present and you press a button to toggle the Light, it will get it off by applying the Override condition of 'Temporary Off'. So the apparent randomness is caused by it doing what is asked in the least intrusive way.
      The light is never set to Keep Off or Keep On by Cortex automation methods. When in either of these states other automation methods are blocked. It would have to be set by the user configuration such as Macro or special connections.

Considering Alex situation.
      You say you have set a SWITCH to toggle the light. Does this mean you have it sending a toggle request on switch high AND switch low? Just a point to clarify.

After operating the toggle request by what ever means, the Light condition will be Off and the ‘Current Override mode’ will be ‘Temporary Off’. Leaving the room and returning the override mode is still ‘Temporary Off’ so will stay off. If you issued a new request to Toggle it would change the ‘Current Override mode’ back to ‘None’ so the automation would return.

However I assume you do not want to have to do this and want it to return to normal automation automatically.

There is an option in the Light behaviour menu called ‘Auto set override to default after room becomes unoccupied and delay’. The ‘default’ override mode would normally be set to ‘None’. So the idea is, after you leave the room and the room becomes unoccupied and optionally some delay of your choice, the override mode returns to ‘None’. When you come back in to the room the lights come on again as expected. So I would suggest you enable this option.

If the Light is operating in a bedroom the probability is that having turned the light off by toggling you want it to remain off until next evening. In which case the above ‘Auto set override to default…’ is not suitable. Rather the Override mode should return to none when it gets light in the morning or a time change.

Viv

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

Aha, many thanks for the explanation ...

Chris
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Alexc
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Viv View Post
          Does this mean you have it sending a toggle request on switch high AND switch low? Just a point to clarify.

There is an option in the Light behaviour menu called ‘Auto set override to default after room becomes unoccupied and delay’.
          Thanks both. Yes, the toggle is for both high and low. As this is the kitchen, there may be occasions when both are required. There's also a sense of some members of the household wanting to turn the light off when leaving the room (not having yet got used to it turning off automatically)!

That auto set option is perfect. I've enabled that and it has solved the issue.

The more I play with Idratek, the more I understand its potential!

Alex

Comment

Working...
          X