• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

Disable broadcast and AUI

Hi all. In setting up my AUI I've encountered some odd behaviour. I have the button push set to trigger the visitor calls action but also to play a sound local to the AUI. The trouble is this local sound never plays if the AUI is set to disable broadcast reception. Does anybody have any idea where I'm going wrong?

Edit: upon further testing local sounds never play at all even if play sound (local) is the only action for the button. If broadcast reception is enabled however then it will play. Is this a bug or am I missing something?
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...
  • Viv
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Dec 2004

[QUOTE=Is this a bug or am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

I have had to check this out! The option 'Disable broadcast reception' has a number of effects. Its is primarily designed more as a 'Do not disturb' option. That is obviously not to receive broadcast annunciations of speech and sounds. However it also stops local instigated speech and sounds (so as not to disturb). When enabled it also blocks reception of intercom broadcasts sessions although the user can join an intercom session if they 'heard' one was taking place by pressing their intercom button. Even when checked it does allow intercom sessions instigated from the panel. Perhaps we should rename it to 'Do not disturb'.

So this option behaves this way on all intercoms and is no different for the AUI intercom.

If you have turned on Disable broadcast reception for the AUI intercom because you do not want normal internal house conversations, speech messages and sound prompts to be heard on the AUI then this is not nessessary. This is because when a broadcast sound message is activated the 'All Intercom' object enables all the intercom speakers on the system. It does this with a network broadcast packet targetting specific Intercom types (TID=61). This allows all required intercoms to change state at the same time with a single message. The AUI intercom belongs to a type ID of 62 so will not be switched on/off. The AUI intercom icon may still show it becoming active under these circumstances.

Viv.

Comment

• Andrew Millne
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Nov 2007

Thanks for clarifying Viv, that makes sense now. I was indeed looking to disable it so internal conversations, speech etc. were not broadcast.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

interesting thread - we misunderstood in the same way ...

we've also been trying to find a way to use the AUI to flash its LEDs & speak a word or two, to indicate when things have been set as we leave the house ...

without success, so far ...
        Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 19 August 2014, 09:26 PM.
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Andrew Millne
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Viv View Post
          This is because when a broadcast sound message is activated the 'All Intercom' object enables all the intercom speakers on the system. It does this with a network broadcast packet targetting specific Intercom types (TID=61). This allows all required intercoms to change state at the same time with a single message. The AUI intercom belongs to a type ID of 62 so will not be switched on/off.
          I found some more time this weekend to do some Cortex configuration and unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case. Broadcast sounds that play internally such as my hourly system scheduler time speak event are also playing on the AUI. Have I done something to perhaps override the default?

Comment

• Andrew Millne
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Nov 2007

Does anybody have any insight on this? Broadcast audio is still being played outside on the AUI when apparently it should not.

Comment

• Karam
              Automated Home Legend
              • Mar 2005

Andrew,

Perhaps you can send us a node profile for the AUI whilst the network is in normal running state and if possible capture a Cortex communications log around a circumstance where audio is broadcast and is audible on the AUI. To do the latter enable the 'To File always' setting for the duration of the test (make sure to uncheck afterwards) and let us know the nature of the broadcast e.g was it speaking out some requested data or an intercom session.

Comment

• Andrew Millne
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Nov 2007

Thanks Karam,

Attached is a node profile and logs for two sound events playing on the AUI. One a sound from the sound menu triggered by a door opening and the other a speech event triggered from the test event button in the scheduler.

AUI log.txt
                AUI node profile.txt
                AUI Speech event.txt

Comment

• Viv
                  Automated Home Ninja
                  • Dec 2004

A Cortex update to version 26.10.4 is available.
                  This version addresses a possible issue with the AUI in how it responds to broadcast messages.
                  The AUI should be setup to use its own annunciations for playing a door bell sound and/or speaking.
                  That is, do not trigger a specific sound event via the visitor calls connections.

The most common use will be to disable broadcast reception in the AUI intercom.

So a caller presses the AUI button.
                  The AUI will then broadcast its annuciation sound (door bell) to all available intercoms.
                  By available means that can receive broadcast messages and the correct time of day.
                  The AUI will also hear the door bell sound so the caller knows they have activated the bell.

However because the disable broadcast reception is set in the AUI intercom when internal
                  broadcast messages are sent e.g. the clock speaking the AUI will not play the sound.

Viv

Comment

• Andrew Millne
                    Automated Home Ninja
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Viv View Post
                    A Cortex update to version 26.10.4 is available.
                    This version addresses a possible issue with the AUI in how it responds to broadcast messages.
                    Thanks for the update Viv, everything seems OK with this functionality now.

Comment

Working...
                    X