Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honeywell evohome and Warmup electric underfloor heating?

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Honeywell evohome and Warmup electric underfloor heating?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and came across this forum after researching into Honeywell's evohome heating system. I have now bought it along with 4 x TRVs and the only question I have is if anyone knows if/how I can get it working with my Warmup electric underfloor heating in the bathroom.

I've searched online for details about this but have not come up with much. I've seen sensibleheat.co.uk seem to provide something to do this, but I'm not entirely sure what this is and it looks like you have to use some kind of different firmware on your evohome for this?

If anyone can point me in the right direction or provide any other help, that would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Automated Home Guru

I'd be interested in how you connect up electric underfloor heating to EvoHome as well. I'm thinking of putting it outside in my conservatory to take the chill of it in the winter, but don't want to look at it unless I can integrate it easily to my EvoHome.

If you've several zones to control it is cheaper to use a Manifold Controller with interface relays/contactors to handle the load, or individual Honeywell Relay Modules with interface relays/contactors if required.

It is vital that you keep the floor sensor and basic stat for high limit control too, otherwise you can damage the heating element and/or floor!
    Sensible Heat
    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Automated Home Jr Member

I only have one underfloor heating zone, and it is electric, every is rads with TRVs.

I have spoken with someone else about it and they say it is possible, using a DTS92, however, this will mean that the boiler will fire up with the thermostat calls for heat so basically if your underfloor heating is on, your boiler will also be (unnecessarily) on.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by magga View Post
    I have spoken with someone else about it and they say it is possible, using a DTS92, however, this will mean that the boiler will fire up with the thermostat calls for heat so basically if your underfloor heating is on, your boiler will also be (unnecessarily) on.
    Would you be able to let me know how they suggested you set this up ? I'm assuming that it would fire up the boiler if you have a Boiler Control relay bound in the EvoHome. I'm not using the Boiler Relay configuration like this in mine, so could perhaps use it ??

Roy.

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi Roy,

I'm not 100% sure how he suggested it could work, all I know is that he mentioned the DTS92. I didn't really ask for further details when he said it meant the boiler would fire every time the DTS92 called for heat.

Matt

Automated Home Sr Member

Default Heat Genius - can handle this as standard

Quote Originally Posted by magga View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here and came across this forum after researching into Honeywell's evohome heating system. I have now bought it along with 4 x TRVs and the only question I have is if anyone knows if/how I can get it working with my Warmup electric underfloor heating in the bathroom.

I've searched online for details about this but have not come up with much. I've seen sensibleheat.co.uk seem to provide something to do this, but I'm not entirely sure what this is and it looks like you have to use some kind of different firmware on your evohome for this?

If anyone can point me in the right direction or provide any other help, that would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Magga - I don't see any way that you can utilise Honeywell Evohome to control your Warmup underfloor heating in your bathroom - not without using a hacked firmware or reverse engineered firmware.

Honeywell Evohome controller is designed primary to control wet heating system so everytime something that is connected to the Evohome calls for Heat - the boiler will fire up.

I checked with Heat Genius who incidentally is my Smart Intelligent Heating Control supplier and they advice me that their Heat Genius Hub can handle this as standard. The only thing you need is one of their Smart Plugs. Each Heat Genius Smart Plug will give you 3000 Watts to play with and you can control it with your mobile, tablet or PC. You could configure more than one Smart Plug for example one to deal with the heating in your bathroom and one for a conservatory.

However, its not all plain sailing as there is an issue if you are using Smart Plugs as nearly all underfloor heating system are wired into fused spur (and not to a plug socket - this is to do with the electrical regulations, which also disallow plug sockets within 3m of a bath/ sink etc.) The 3m rule applies to measurements within the room that has the underfloor heating installed.

The good news however are that Heat Genius is busy working on a solution to address this.
    Last edited by Hot; 30th October 2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: additional information

evohome can control loads of up to 1kW. I have mine controlling several electric radiators (loft extension). So if your electric solution is less than this then all good.
    The DT92 does the load switching, the DTS92 acts as the room sensor. Both are bound to evohome when the zone is created.

The above post is correct though the boiler will fire, even if you want only want the electric only on. But in my case this is not an issue as I rarely required the electric only zone without a hydronic zone also active.

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi,

Thanks for the post.

I have Warmup DWS400 heating which I believe is 400 watt, do you know how I would go about connecting up the DT92 to this, is there a way to connect the temperature probe to the temperature rather than relying on the air temperature?

Thanks
    Matt

Matt - warmup is calculated load per m2 so you want to count up your total load (looking at the site its 150w per m2) . If its still less than 1.15kW (5A @230vac) then this is still a viable option.
    - The DT92 is the relay part. Really simple install, just put inline - set the zone up as zone valve - and leave your Warmup 'on' - the DT92 then performs the switching.

The DTS92 is the only sensor input allowed into evohome. The warmup will still have its own temp thermostat cut off I suspect - but you will need the DTS92 to provide a reading to allow the DT92 to switch (if you see what I mean). So you will not be able to avoid. There should be a high correlation with air temp and your floor though.

Evohome will still perform its 'learning' so will control the valuable 'time on' and 'time off' element.