Thread: GU10 LEDs for LD11s

Automated Home Jr Member

Default GU10 LEDs for LD11s

I've been replacing halogen GU10s around the house as and when I could afford them (and had the time to convert from 12v back to 240v). After a bit of experimenting I settled on Crompton GU10s because I liked the brightness (500 candela), the temperature (3000k) and the spread (50°).

I bought another batch this weekend to convert two bathrooms. Stupidly I completely forgot that these two rooms are controlled by X10 LD11s.

It was only after I fitted the lamps and discovered I had a disco in the room with flashing lights (and that's before I'd even switched them on!) that I remembered about the LD11s.

So after a bit of reading around both here and other sites I'm still not entirely sure this problem is solvable? Each room has 5 down-lighters so a total of just 30W which is way below the recommended minimum for an LD11. However I've read some posts that suggest Megaman or Brightlightz 5W GU10s work okay with LD11s. However are they using them 10 or more lamps to get the wattage up over 60W? I'd hate to go an spend another 100 quid or so on 10 GU10s to find they don't work. Also both those are not as bright and are whiter than the Cromptons. Can anyone help with a recommendation please? Thanks...
    Last edited by MalcolmSu; 8th October 2014 at 08:15 PM.

What happens when you leave one halogen GU10 bulb in place. Also Marmitek do a micro module LMM31 or a 2263D (both modules are the same) that has a minimum load of 25 to 30 W.
    Also are the bulbs you have bought suitable for dimming as not all LED GU10 bulbs are suitable for dimming.

OK warning slightly off topic, but;
    And are you sure its 500 Candela and not 500 lumen. For many applications you will be told they can be considered the same but it all depends on viewing angle. As a 360 degree light source emitting 1cd will only emit 12.57 lumen. For 500cd to be 500lm the viewing angle would need to be about 65.5 degrees
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Jr Member

Unfortunately I've sent the lamps back now so can't try leaving one halogen in - can't see why that shouldn't work though. Just didn't think of it.

I was reluctant to buy more to try given the cost but given I got the Crompton's exchanged so easily I think I will try a batch of Megaman's to see if they're any good.

I've checked the packaging on the Crompton's again and they definitely show 5W, 50°, 3000K, 400 Lumens, 500 Candela. These are the last ones I purchased but I noticed the previous batch quote: 5W, 45°, 3000K, 450 Lumens, 750 Candela!

Thanks for your reply.

Automated Home Jr Member

just to follow up on this. I bought some Megaman GU10 LEDs and these work perfectly with the LD11. Slightly different spec. 6W 2800K but only 35° spread - which you do notice. However with 5 of them the LD11 copes well. A little bit slow to react to an off switch but I'm quite happy with them.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmSu View Post
    just to follow up on this. I bought some Megaman GU10 LEDs and these work perfectly with the LD11. Slightly different spec. 6W 2800K but only 35° spread - which you do notice. However with 5 of them the LD11 copes well. A little bit slow to react to an off switch but I'm quite happy with them.
    I've got the whole house settled (finally!) with marmitek LW12 dimmers and one 240v halogen on each circuit, and it's all working well now.

The remaining bulbs are now 'integral' brand dimmable GU10 LEDs, which appear to be the ones that b&q have rebranded but at half the price. They too are a bit slow to turn off, but they're the only ones I've found so far that don't generate extra X10 interference.
    Most of them are 5w, 250lm, 650cd, 33°, 2700k warm white, with a few 6.5w.