Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: remote control of heating

Automated Home Lurker

Default remote control of heating

I only have one zone on a combo boiler and want heating control on a iOS device. Would like the option of adding remote TVR's for zoning at a later stage.
    Would also like to see a graph of heating over a period of time.

The heat Genius looks ok, just not happy with the design of the thermostat for the wall. Any other ideas?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jdenver View Post
    I only have one zone on a combo boiler and want heating control on a iOS device. Would like the option of adding remote TVR's for zoning at a later stage.
    Would also like to see a graph of heating over a period of time.

The heat Genius looks ok, just not happy with the design of the thermostat for the wall. Any other ideas?
    Welcome to the 'Jungle' of home automation. I have gone for Evohome. I note that Honeywell is about to release a smart thermostat (£92) which is both standalone and Evohome compatible. Alternatively, buy the Evohome controller and remote access(£187 + £57) which would get you what you want now with the ability to go for 12 zones in the future.

Google 'TheEvoHomeShop' for more information.

PS I have no business or personal links with this firm.

If your radiators are not inside cabinets or behind full length curtains etc then the Honeywell HR92 Radiator Controller should not need a separate room sensor - it's built-in sensors will measure and feedback room temperature directly. If you do want to have a separate room sensor for any reason then you can add any of the several compatible Honeywell models to the system at extra cost, however in the majority of cases the sensor in the HR92 would work just as well.
    Sensible Heat
    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Automated Home Lurker

What puts me off of Honeywell is the screens, I want the screen fixed to the wall and also want the feedback from heating last week, month etc. not sure if the honeywell unit does this.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdenver View Post
    What puts me off of Honeywell is the screens, I want the screen fixed to the wall and also want the feedback from heating last week, month etc. not sure if the honeywell unit does this.
    You can get a wall mount for the screen - that's how I have mine mounted. It doesn't do any history on the controller, but if you're comfortable doing some programming, I have written a Python library which can connect and get access to zone temperatures etc. I log this information every 5 minutes to a database to give me a historic view.

Automated Home Sr Member

If you you were using Heat Genius and you wanted to use a screen that is fixed to the wall then you could get a cheap old Android mobile phone or a iPhone that can be attached to the wall or better still why not use the Android phone, tablet or Apple equivalent to operate the Heat Genius at home and even when you are away from home e.g. if you wanted to pre-heat your home before of your arrival.
    Last edited by Hot; 11th October 2014 at 02:13 PM.

I'm not aware of any systems that store historical data for later analysis without setting up your own data logging/storage, so you'd need to decide how much work you would be prepared to take on to add your own solution to achieve this as some systems are easier than others to interrogate via official APIs or unofficial reverse-engineered solutions. The unofficial solutions always run the risk that the manufacturer makes changes that prevent the data being accessed. A for example, one of my colleagues is using the methods mentioned above to store setpoint and room sensor values for his Evo system via a Raspberry PI. However it is completely unofficial so has no support from Honeywell and no guarantee that it will continue to work this way into the future.
    Sensible Heat
    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Automated Home Sr Member

My Intelligent Heating Control stores historical data for later analysis as a standard. At the moment it is OK for basic data analysis but I am aware that the manufacturer is working on a far more advanced charting software.

What does it store and how is the information presented?
    Sensible Heat
    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Automated Home Sr Member

Thumbs up Heat Genius - Charting Capabilities

My Heat Genius data is stored offline on a system server and the information presented at the moment is by a Line Chart. Different colours are used to distinct between different data but the charts information is instantly recognisable. This module is being extensively improved and I am reliably informed will offer many more smart features and different types of charts but lets wait and see what the future holds.

My Heat Genius Smart Intelligent Heating system records my heating and occupancy patterns and temperatures, so I can see changes in use and potential energy savings for each room. For me it is important to be able to see when and how long each Zone or room is used. This can be seen in multiple blocks of 15 minutes. One function of the Heat Genius Charts that I treasure is how the Chart show when the system comes on or is switched off.

At any point I can access my historical heating graphs, which show me the target and actual temperature in each of my Zones or my rooms. I can use these graphs to see what temperatures my Zones or rooms reach at different parts of the day or week.

I can choose from any of my Zones or rooms and the Heat Genius Charting module allows me to customise how many days the graph displays, based on a starting point of my choice. Currently my Charts can be viewed over a period of 1 day, 2 days or a week. I can instantly access all my stored data and I am able to analyse from the first day the Heat Genius Smart Intelligent Heating system was commissioned. I can do this analysis using a PC (DeskTop or LapTop and Android or iOS mobile devices.

As I also have multiple Zone or rooms sensors, I can see how my Heat Genius Intelligent FOOTPRINT mode is mirroring my Zones or room usage pattern, or how accurate my timer predictions are compared with when I really do use the rooms. This allows me to make more accurate ‘heating periods’, saving me money by not heating parts of my home we aren't using and increasing our comfort as the system will only heat the rooms when we need them.
    Last edited by Hot; 15th October 2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Adding a header and correcting few typos
    I am totally independent writer and my writing is not skewed in any way by receiving payment for my writing. I reduce my gas bills by using Heat Genius Smart Intelligent Heating Controls with more efficient Column radiators.