Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Honeywell Evohome Controller Reset Itself

Default Honeywell Evohome Controller Reset Itself

I had the Evohome system fitted in August and have only just switched the heating on and started using it properly.

Today when I was trying to teach hubby how to use the controls, when I tried to put the controller back into its stand, the controller reset itself. When it came back on, all the rooms showed that they were 'syncing'. They stayed like this for ages so, like you do, I started panicking and fiddling with the controls. I got into the installers menu and tried a RF test which failed (I did turn the radiator controller to test.) I then re binded the boiler transmitter just in case.

Anyway, two of the rooms (not the one I was playing with) reshowed on the controller and eventually after about an hour they all appeared. The schedules were unaffected. Also, although I am not totally 100% sure, the menus look different but I am not sure what is missing apart from the fault log. (Edit. Have just got 2 comm faults and now the fault log is showing on the menu)

My question is: is there a quick way to get them all synced quickly?
    Last edited by Mavis; 7th October 2014 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Fault log now showing

Having had an evotouch freeze on me i discovered that a reboot can be done by removing the controller from the cradle. If you have a desktop unit just unplug the power cable and move around, reapplying power will not cause a reboot and all the syncing. If you have a wall mount i think it will reboot each time it is removed and replaced on the cradle.

From what I understand the resync just takes a bit of time and is not something that can be sped up, could be corrected on this.

If you are new to the system another thing i have recently discovered if a HR80 loses connection just pull out a battery and replace and it will force a re-sync, i had been re-binding each time which is very time consuming.
    Hope this helps, i am an evohome newb as well but i'm sure others may have more advice.

Thanks for this. Good to know that all I have to do is wait. Yes, it is the desktop unit I have and I had just been unplugging it as it was easier. This time I had taken it from it's cradle and when I had gone to put it back on, I think that what I had done was just touch the contacts together briefly which caused it to reboot. (I was able to replicate it).

Yes, I am a complete newb to Evohome and to home automation although I am getting sucked in (today there is an electrician as I type installing LightwaveRF switches at home). At a user level I like to think of myself as a bit of a techie but what is frustrating is that there is not much around to read up on, such as FAQs, troubleshooting, how people have got round various issues.

I have the newer HR92s and I think that they just reconnect themselves after a comms fault (what causes these?) but again, good to know that taking a battery out could make it sync.

When I first looked into the Evohome I thought that the rad valves were removable so that they could pick up the temp in a different part of the room but they are obviously not.

Also something else that would have been good would be a wireless window sensor as someone always leaves our kitchen door open in our house - if there was a way of incorporating the window sensor that Lightwaverf does into the Evohome......

Automated Home Legend

I am not sure that I see the value of having a standalone controller on a cradle when the Evohome system can be controlled via a smartphone. My installer used the the wires to the hall thermostat to power the wall mount kit, and I think that the controller looks nice mounted on the wall.

HR92's will detect a sudden temperature drop in the room (as in a door or window open) and shuts off the local radiator (unsure if the delta is configurable)

Vangelis

Quote Originally Posted by Vangelis View Post
    HR92's will detect a sudden temperature drop in the room (as in a door or window open) and shuts off the local radiator (unsure if the delta is configurable)

Vangelis
    Thank you. That is excellent news.

If you need to measure the temperature in a different part of the room you would need to add one of the wireless room sensors in that zone - there are several units that are compatible, including units with LCD display that also allow setpoint adjustment.
    Sensible Heat
    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Although the thought of more gadgets excites me, I guess I really must get to grips with what I have already.
    A good start would probably be a straightforward thermometer first and see what the temps are in different parts of the room.
    Another thing perhaps I shouldn't get hung up about is the numbers themselves and instead go by whether it feels warm or cold.

Automated Home Legend

One of the factors for our purchase of Evohome was the effect of a wood-burning stove that we purchased 5 years ago. The stove has un-balanced (if that is a word) our heating system. Having put the stove on for the last couple of chilly nights, it is interesting to see where the heat generated actually goes via the HR92 temperature read outs on my phone. The heat is getting to parts of the house that I wouldn't have thought possible. We live in a 5 bedroomed property.

Automated Home Jr Member

Mine has done this several times on the desktop stand, but only when it is not powered! If the power is on it is fine. It has happened to me when moving the desktop stand around the house and putting the controller back on it before switching on the power. I have a wall mount kit too and that has never caused a reset.

One thing I found helped with the re-synching was to go around to each TRV and push the button in it to wake it up. That seemed to cause an immediate (ish) resynch.