X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dan1w
    • Oct 2014

Best fhem/Openhab compatible switch

I'm looking for a switch to place in series with my thermostat to cut off the heating.

I've not used fhem or Openhab yet but it seems for a lot of the equipment you need the manufacturers LAN gateway to interface with fhem/Openhab and control the accessories.

Does anyone know of any bidirectional 868mhz switch actuators that can be directly controlled by fhem/Openhab as well as the status of their being on/off without the need for a proprietary gateway?

Thanks,

Dan
  • zcapr17
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by dan1w View Post
    I'm looking for a switch to place in series with my thermostat to cut off the heating.

I've not used fhem or Openhab yet but it seems for a lot of the equipment you need the manufacturers LAN gateway to interface with fhem/Openhab and control the accessories.

Does anyone know of any bidirectional 868mhz switch actuators that can be directly controlled by fhem/Openhab as well as the status of their being on/off without the need for a proprietary gateway?

Thanks,

Dan
    Forgive me if I've misunderstood your question, but if you're running HA controller software such as OpenHAB or Fhem, then one would assume you're going to run it on some kind of PC device, which while it is likely to have Ethernet, USB, Bluetooth, and maybe even serial hardware interfaces, it is unlikely to have an 868 MHz hardware interface built-in. Therefore, surely you're going to need some kind of PC to 868 MHz hardware bridge to get your device and controller physically talking to one another no matter what?

If you were to pick a z-wave switch, then you could use a generic z-wave USB dongle, which would also be capable of controlling anything else that talks z-wave. Not sure if that meets your definition of proprietary gateway or not though?

Z.

Comment

• dan1w
      • Oct 2014

Ah, I had misunderstood how the systems communicate. I assumed it was via some sort of USB radio device but I gather it's over the network then.

That narrows me down to two options then. The ugly solution of using a Max! switch with two plug adapters or installing Homematic CCU firmware on my Synology and using their boiler controller. I assume that must still function as I initially thought, with a USB radio transmitter?

Comment

• zcapr17
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Oct 2014

Just to be clear, a "z-wave USB dongle" is a "USB radio device", which is an example of a "PC to 868 MHz hardware bridge". All the same thing.
        E.g. https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?q=z-w...wave+usb+stick

With appropriate software you should be able to control any z-wave device with it.
        E.g. a generic z-wave relay https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?tbm=s...q=z-wave+relay

Comment

Working...
        X