• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CableTie
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2005

ceiling speakers

I want to use ceiling speakers but don't want to finalise which type till the end of my re fit. Can anyone advise on what void I need to leave to house them. I intend making Sound Bloc boxes and want to know what size to make them.

Cheers in advance

Paul
    http://www.kendal-i.co.uk
  • Ross
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2004

Re: ceiling speakers

Try
    Austalian Integrators Forum
    http://www.integrate-oz.net/forum/index.php
    http://www.cbussales.com/index.php

Comment

• CableTie
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2005

Thanks for the link Ross, I have looked at lots of speakers but havent found any dimensions. I want to install a generic box that will accomodate the most popular sizes and need to maintain good sound proofing for upward travel of noise into the rooms above.

I have 16" bays that are 8" deep for downstairs rooms but only 16" 4" deep for upstairs where I have to maintain 100mm Kingspan to illiminate cold spots so need to have some idea of how much to lift these upstair joists to accomodate the kingspan and sound bloc boxes.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Paul

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Have a look at www.bestbuy.com and type "ceiling speakers" into the search box. Although it's a US site, I think the typical dimensions would be good enough for what you need.

The "product length" dimension seems to be about right for what I'd call the depth or thickness. To pick a couple of examples, the JBL SP6C are 4.3/8" thick, the Home Tech HT 503R are 3" thick.

The Bose® Virtually Invisible® 191 In-Wall Speakers are dimensioned here: http://www.smarthome.com/972466.html and while they're not the thinnest, I don't think you need to provide a back box for them. That's how I interpreted the "Performance You Can Count On" section on the smarthome link.

I've not heard any of these speakers BTW, I'm still researching, although I'll probably get some of the Home Tech ones to try (Home Tech are made by Sonance)

HTH,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• vex
          Automated Home Guru
          • Feb 2005

How about these

The depth from ceiling rim to rear furthermost points for the following products are:

TK-615 4-1/4" (110mm)

A-615D 3-7/8 (100mm)

A-615 4" (105mm)

The RBH range is really well respected in the USA and we are only just starting to see them over here.
          www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
          NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• CableTie
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2005

Thanks for the pointers guys, any idea on price Vex, they look impressive and fit my requirements. Looks like I can make my boxes now and stop some sound travel.

Cheers

Paul

Comment

• vex
              Automated Home Guru
              • Feb 2005

Paul.

I'll sort prices out for you and confirm them next week.

Cheers

Chris
              NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• vex
                Automated Home Guru
                • Feb 2005

Here we go with prices, hot off the press.

Model RRP (ex VAT)

A615 £170 Per Pair.
                A615D £100 Each.

If you want a bunch of them then I am sure there can be some flexability in that.

Chris

Comment

• CableTie
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Jan 2005

Great Chris, will get in touch with you when I am a little further on (still running cable) will be looking at setting up my surround sound and then possibly 3 other main rooms

Cheers for the info its appreciated

Paul

Comment

• DavidG
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Aug 2005

I've been considering this too.

So what's the difference between these and car hifi speakers?
                    In a car it certainly pays to have a sealed (or ported) enclosure to get the bass response.

Comment

• TimH
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Feb 2004

I was looking for some specs to compare, but Halfords just had size and price :-(
                      I guess that car speakers don't have to perform as well as in-house speakers as a lot of the subtlety is lost in road noise etc. Someone on UKHA_D commented (for car amps) that hi-fi amps have much lower distortion vs. in-car amps.

That said, I do recall some people using car speakers in their ceilings. If you're after TTS-type announcements or background music only, then they might be a good solution :-)

HTH,

Tim.
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

• katman
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidG
                        One thing to watch if you decide to use car speakers is that generally they are 4 ohms whereas HiFi speakers tend to be 8 ohms.

Decent amplifiers shouldnt have any problem driving a 4 ohm load but there are quite a few modern amps that cant go below 6 ohms.

As we all know, amplifiers are powered by smoke, because once the smoke escapes the amplifier no longer works :-)

Regards

Keith
                        KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
                        http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• TimH
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by katman
                          As we all know, amplifiers are powered by smoke, because once the smoke escapes the amplifier no longer works :-)
                          LOL!
                          What a fantastic non-technical description.

Love it!

Tim.
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                          X