Can this be something for the UK market in the future? My experiences with Smartly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DillaHagevik
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2014

Can this be something for the UK market in the future? My experiences with Smartly

Hi. My name is Chris. I just moved to Leeds from Stavanger (Norway).
    Back in Norway I was introduced to a smart home solution which was called Smartly (a subsidiary of Lyse).
    I integrated this solution in my home and I was really impressed by the development. The app made it easy for me to control heating in every room. This was especially useful during the winter. Lyse also has an partnership with NorDan, which operates with automated door locks. This door lock solution made my door key-less. You could lock and open the door from your phone from anywhere and you can see who is ringing the bell.
    nordan-smartly-door.jpg

The reason I am writing about this is that I am interested if this could be something you guys could be interested in.

Here is some background info about Smartly:
    It offers security systems (burglar alarm and direct fire alarm), lightning, heating and energy control.

All of this is done through a single application that can be controlled from the customers smart mobile devices.

The product can also be delivered in steps, making the system more affordable.

The Smartly solution is only available for Norwegian customers at the moment, but I think they are considering expansions to foreign countries in the future.
    I think the website is just in Norwegian, but here is the link anyway: https://www.smartly.no/
    I uploaded some pictures just to give you an
    heat controller.jpg
    Heat control

light control.jpg
    Light Control

smartly-app.jpg

The Smartly app

Smartly gateway.jpg

The Smarly Gateway

What do you think? Something for the UK market?

Best regards,
    Chris
  • Vangelis
    Automated Home Guru
    • Sep 2009

Hey Chris....

I've seen a few HA systems from Europe and they always look very good from an Integrations and UI perspective. As I mentioned in another post, having ALL my sub-systems being controlled by one platform could lead to issues if there is a hardware failure, and that's why I didn't go down that route.

Another thing I noticed about the European systems, is that they are very country specfic. This could be due to the subtle differences in power / RF regulations etc, so it would be interesting if Smartly do decide to expand.

I do like the lock integration into doors, however - this is something that is lacking in the UK (apart from retro-fit systems such as Assa-Abloy or Yale), so I might have to reach out further afield when I replace mine

Vangelis

Comment

• DillaHagevik
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2014

Hi Vangelis

I do understand your point of just one device could be a problem if there is an hardware failure, but I think the risk of that happening is quite small. I had no problems with system failure or any technical problems what so ever while using Smartly. I have no information of how frequent this happens.

I have a buddy that works in Lyse (not the Smartly section though) which gave me some information about standardizing the product or not abroad. He said that they have already launched the product in Denmark, which yes is a similar market, but they are adapting to the market.
      He also said if they would expand the product to other countries they are willing to specify and make adaptions to the market.

When it comes to the doors, I know that Verisure (http://www.verisure.co.uk/) offers same "smart" lock solutions. If I am not mistaken they have a partnership with Yale.

Do you guys know how fast this market is growing? After visiting the Verisure webpage they had some interesting numbers like; 1.6 m customers. 1 new customer every 30 seconds. Established in 14 countries etc.
      I am new to automated homes in the UK, so I am curious of how big the market is and the growth. In Norway it is taking off and I think they have developed an technology that has not yet been identified by the "every-day" household in the UK.
      Please fill me in.

Best regards
      Chris

Comment

• Vangelis
        Automated Home Guru
        • Sep 2009

I think European products may struggle a little in the UK just based on awareness. Fibaro are probably a good example that's made it to the UK, however their back end support is getting a kicking right now.

Expectation is that people are waiting to see what Apple will do with HomeKit - this is mainly due to brand awareness and the reputation for stability

In the UK people like to mostly build their HA systems themselves in a modular fashion, as opposed to spending a lot of money on a commercial offering

The Raspberry Pi is quite good and offers free HA solutions (however I would not like to base my home security on a £25 ARM Processor )

I will have a look at the site ref doors (thanks for the link)

Vangelis

Comment

• DillaHagevik
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Nov 2014

Hi Vangelis.

What did Fibaro do to get a foot in the UK market? Joint venture or partnership with a UK-based company?

I fancy that Apple would be the preferred choice of many new customers once they release a solution in the UK, due to the fact that they have the brand name they have.
          I think it is important for companies to get a foot in the market before it really kicks off.

Best regards
          Chris

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

>UK market ...

in many ways the UK's ahead of the game - eg: ARM & Imagination ... Idratek

way back, when we were trying to choose a system to go with for our HA, the German EIB / KNX offering seemed to tick all the boxes (capability, robustness, integrity, multi-source, very professional) ... it's been around for a while, but it's never really taken off in the UK. The Australian C-Bus did better ...

some lessons there, I guess ...

Chris
            Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• DillaHagevik
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Nov 2014

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply.

I guess the market is more defined now, than "way back". I personally haven't heard of any of the companies. Are the C-Bus system still on the UK market? Do they have a strong position in the home solution society?

Also I am curious if there is any technology fairs, home solution fairs or any similar conferences to innovative home technology?
              I were thinking about going anytime between February and May.

I was curious about if there are any fairs or conferences around in the UK

Best regards
              Chris

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                Automated Home Legend
                • Dec 2007

>defined …

maybe - not sure it's more defined, but it's certainly more populated !

Lots of the new things, though, seem quite limited in their scope …

>exhibitions …

there was one that happened every year at the NEC, about ten years ago, but stopped after a few years …

Automated Home also hosted one, in 2004, IIRC - very good, and helpful for us, when we were trying to choose, but it was a one-off …

Exhibitions like Ideal Home (London) & Grand Designs (London & NEC) & Homebuilding&Renovating (NEC & Harrogate & West Country) might be worth considering …

>C-Bus …

strong commercially (eg: Wembley) & has a DIY following, too …

HTH
                Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 5 December 2014, 06:30 PM.
                Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• DillaHagevik
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Nov 2014

Gi guys!

Does anybody know what the early adopters of HA systems did to get an advantage over other firms?

If we take a look at British Gas, they problaby had an advantage of just being as big as a company that they are. Did they invest heavliy commercially?

Best regards
                  Chris

Comment

• Vangelis
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Sep 2009

Definately brand awareness - Look at Apple...They have no HA products, but the impending HomeKit is enough to be making people hold-off taking the HA plunge.

Others have sort of evolved from AV control systems into lighting and HVAC

Established HA Companies will charge alot and carryout the installation giving the end user the function they want - any additions requires more Consultancy

Smaller Software / Hardware systems are just as good but require an active support eco system such as Forums - any additions can be done by the end user who knows the system inside and out!

Vangelis

Comment

Working...
                    X