• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveP
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2012

Evohome Binding process HR92 vs HR80

I currently have HR80s and am replacing one of these in a 3 radiator zone with a HR92. The new HR92 will be the room sensor. I am used to the HR80 where I bind all 3 actuators and then pick one to bind as the room sensor. The HR92 gives no mention of the two bindings. I have bound it ok by first doing the valve binding and then doing the room sensor binding and it appears to be reflecting the room temperature back to the controller. Was this process correct as the manual doesn't mention what happens if you have more than 1 HR92 in a zone in terms of which one provides the room temp back to the controller (The last one bound perhaps?). Cheers
    Last edited by SteveP; 2 December 2014, 03:54 PM.
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    if you have more than 1 HR92 in a zone in terms of which one provides the room temp back to the controller (The last one bound perhaps?). Cheers
    I have just been speaking to Evohome Technical. I needed to move an HR92 between two zones. The answer to your question is that the first HR92 bound to the controller provides the room temperature information. I am now checking all my multi HR92 zones to make sure that the installer got it right.

Comment

• SteveP
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
      I have just been speaking to Evohome Technical. I needed to move an HR92 between two zones. The answer to your question is that the first HR92 bound to the controller provides the room temperature information. I am now checking all my multi HR92 zones to make sure that the installer got it right.
      Thanks for the update - interesting approach with the HR92 then as that means any change to the sensor unit in a multi HR92 zone requires re-binding the lot. Presumably you need to also unbind them all first otherwise the zone still has the original one that was bound first previously in memory? At least with the HR80 you just selected the one to use as the sensor and bound the sensor separately. Any change to the controller to use as the sensor in a zone was a single sensor rebind. So "new" is not always better :-( This answers my question and should help others with HR92 in a multi controller zone as there is nothing in the documentation to explain this nuance. Many thanks for sharing.

Comment

• HenGus
        Automated Home Legend
        • May 2014

No problems. As you will see on another thread, moving HR92s around zones requires a zone deletion followed by a zone addition with full re-binding of all HR92s in that zone. For some reason, deleting a zone also unbinds the zone using the Evohome sensor (if applicable). Not sure why this happens: thankfully it is easily re-instated. I agree that the technical info available to users is pretty thin. Perhaps the extremely helpful Rameses will feedback to Honeywell the need to give end users more information. That said, Evohome Tech (0300 1301299) couldn't have been more helpful when I spoke to them on the phone.

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

I am not sure that the guy that I spoke to in Holland is correct when he stated that the first HR92 bound to the zone provides room temperature information to the Evohome controller. In a room with 3 TRVs, I have one TRV which is sited fairly close to a wood-burning stove. To check the theory, I bound this one first and the room temperature varied very little when the stove was on. I have changed the BINDing order this morning, and I will check again when the stove goes on tonight.

Comment

• SteveP
            Automated Home Guru
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
            I am not sure that the guy that I spoke to in Holland is correct when he stated that the first HR92 bound to the zone provides room temperature information to the Evohome controller. In a room with 3 TRVs, I have one TRV which is sited fairly close to a wood-burning stove. To check the theory, I bound this one first and the room temperature varied very little when the stove was on. I have changed the BINDing order this morning, and I will check again when the stove goes on tonight.
            It would sort of make more sense for the last one that is bound to be the sensor. That way it is easy to swap them around. Your test should prove it. However, I also have a radiator next my wood stove and even though I had bound that one to the sensor it didn't respond as quickly as I expected to the stove. When I tested the actual air temperature in the vicinity of that sensor it was surprising low compared to the heat the stove was emitting. Some research revealed the obvious which is the stove and radiator create heat convection currents and draw in cold air at the floor level. So even though the rad was near the stove the actual heat from the stove was circulating to the furthest wall via the ceiling. So I actually moved the sensor to the furthest one from the stove directly opposite it and that responded better.

Comment

• HenGus
              Automated Home Legend
              • May 2014

Hi. I have just been in contact with Rameses on another thread. Honeywell is clear that it is the first bound HR92 that informs the system. I have followed his suggestions on the best way to confirm, and I will see what happens this evening. I re-set the zone yesterday to add a TRV to a combined kitchen/family room/utility room. Previously, I had the utility room zoned with a downstairs loo, but I became worried that the warmth in the kitchen would prevent the heating coming on in the loo. I may yet re-brigade the utility room and toilet now I know more about setting the lead HR92. My wife thinks this system is worth the cost just for the endless hours of amusement it is giving me.

Comment

• SteveP
                Automated Home Guru
                • Dec 2012

Hi - thanks for the reference to the other thread. One comment from Rameses appears to allow an HR92 to be sensor rebound at any time. I did that with mine as I was so used to doing it with the HR80 and that may be the key to simply changing which HR92 is the sensor. We shall see what the expert replies. If your wife thinks just the set up is amusing, have you looked at the API thread (if you have the gateway) as my son has just written an app for me to give me the graph data based on the examples in the thread and once you can see all the room temperatures over night and the set points and how the individual zones start early optimisation then your entertainment level will know no bound :-)

Comment

Working...
                X