• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gman
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2014

New build - looking at ZWave with LightwaveRF

In the process of a new build at about to start the 2nd fix. At 1st fix, I cabled the house so that the light switch and the light socket both go back to a central terminal. I did this for all the lights I wanted to control/automate. Now it has come to 2nd fix; I was planning on using standard touch switches for each light switch and using a relay of some sort that would enable the remote control of the light - the question is which relay and will this relay allow a standard touch switch to on/off the light and also allow for the web/phone to switch on/off the light ? Also, is there a different relay that needs to be used if I want to dim lights?

I was looking at ZWave with LightwaveRF and a Vera Lite controller that would be used to connect/talk to the relays. Is that the correct assumption ?

Also IFTTT so i can do thinks like switch on the lights as I approach the house or switch off the lights when I leave etc..

thanks for the help..
  • Vangelis
    Automated Home Guru
    • Sep 2009

Take a look at Fibaro on Vesternet.com. They are ZWave devices that allow for switch override

Dual Relay - http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-fiba...insert-2-1-5kw
    Dimmer - http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-fibaro-universal-dimmer

LightwaveRF is 1-way / ZWave is 2-way (i.e status feedback)

Vangelis

Comment

• hadiesper
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Nov 2010

Stay away from LightwaveRF, I would second going zwave, you have endless possibilities there fibaro fibaro or any other brand for that matter
      HadiEsper
      http://www.ShifraSmartHomes.com - First Z-wave Smart Home Automation Solution Provider in the Middle East

Comment

• gman
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Dec 2014

Thanks Guys. I'm looking primarily at ZWave with the VeraLite controller..

I wanted to get some touch switches so do I use the Z-Wave Fibaro Universal Dimmer behind a touch switch or do I buy a switch like Z-Wave MCO Touch Panel Switch (http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave/lighting-sockets)

Also; on UK power sockets - are there any Zwave sockets available ? LightwaveRF have some so I thought maybe to get some of these as I cannot think of any other way.

Thanks

Comment

• gman
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Dec 2014

Smart-things hub supporting ZWave and Zigbee with the IFTT support seems like a better option - thoughts? Has it better UK support ?

Comment

• kaivalagi
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Nov 2014

I'm running Domoticz on my NAS, it's free and can support a whole host of interfaces using USB "gateways", be that z-wave or many others through rfxcom.

I'm in the process of going with z-wave only for my heating and lighting using a z-stick usb adapter, I already have it all sussed for zoned heating using z-wave room temp sensors, trvs and a boiler receiver, I just need to save for the devices after an expensive xmas

If I wanted lights coming on when approaching the house I can switch lights / heating etc on when approaching the house using either a free geo-fencing app on my android phone or a custom script I've made that detects connectoins made to my home network by my families mobile devices.

All of this needs a bit of reading and understanding of the various things involved but it's not rocket science, I have it all setup ready for devices, I just used virtual devices in the system to get everything setup and tested out before I switch over to the real things.

Have a look at the domoticz website and the forum, it might not be your cup of tea but it's worth taking a look before you make any decisions, also depends on if you have a 24/7 device ready for hosting the controller software or if you need a new device such as the vera ones.

Comment

• gman
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Dec 2014

Thanks kaivalagi; what I'm really looking for here is the visual aesthetics of the switches and sockets while using Zigbee or Zwave. Its well and good been able to do home automation but I'd still prefer it to look well while I'm putting money into it. The MCO touch switches are nice (link provided earlier) and the Vitrum switches while are very very expensive and seem to be tied to a vitrum controller so not easily integrated..

Comment

Working...
              X